Inconsistent Emdash?

This is weird. An emdash, as created with I type two hyphens, is different in different documents, as seen here:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 2.28.39 PM.jpg

The first is creating when I typed two hyphens. The second, when I did the same in another document then copied it over for comparison.

What’s going on?

Thanks!

Different fonts? Different font sizes?

Slàinte mhòr.

Good guess, but I checked and that’s not it.

Is the first perhaps an en-dash rather than an em-dash?

If you press CTRL CMD SPACE in Scrivener, the macOS character viewer will open. If you copy one character at a time from Scrivener and paste it into the search box in character viewer, it will show you what each character is. Both are em dashes?

If both are em dashes, could you share a sample project?

Slàinte mhòr.

Both should be emdashes. I don’t have time to experiment now, but it looks like whenever I create an emdash in this one document, it is different.

I’m aware of three types of dashes, which, in increasing length order, are produced by: -; alt±; and alt+shift±

Scrivener’s substitutions – which I presume is an Apple thing – produces the last of those three in my projects. (I wish it didn’t because I prefer en-dashes.)

fwiw, I don’t use the automatic substitution preferring to do my dashes by hand, like a boss.