Incorrect Project Word Count When Opening a File for the First Time on a Given Day

I’ve had a minor, yet annoying issue for almost a year now that hasn’t resolved itself through various updates. One of my .scrivx files has several books in it, for a total count of roughly 500k words spread across a large number of documents. When I view my Project Targets, the word count for my current compile group is consistently 1,077 words higher than it should be.

Here’s the funny bit. If I modify the one of the documents in the compile group by so much as typing a space and deleting it, then close the window and re-open it, the word count will return to the proper value. Every time I open it after that, the correct word count will show… until the next day, at which point it reverts to the inflated word count until I do the close and re-open trick.

There is no single text file within the compile group with the word count 1,077 that is alternately being counted and not counted. I can’t think of any other issue that might contribute to the problem. The word count issue does not appear in any other .scrivx I’ve been working in over the last year, though none of those documents have a total count higher than 200k words so maybe it’s a function of document size?

Like I said, this isn’t a life-threatening bug, but I’m working in this .scrivx most of the year, and it’s a little annoying to have to do the open/close/open dance when I want to see my true word count.

Any ideas what this could be?

Scrivener v3.1.4 under macOS v10.15.1, but the issue existed in prior versions of both.