increase target area between cards for drag and drop

You’ll need to scroll over to the right and down to see this…

I can’t do a screenshot that actually shows what happens, but when I drag and drop the highlighted stack over to the empty space to the right of ‘test stack 4’, it actually gets dropped on the bottom row, where the blue bar is.

I guess what’s happening is that Scrivener wants the mouse to be exactly at the edge of the card. But this is rather hard to find accurately with a small touchpad. It’s equally hard to drag and drop the cards anywhere else without accidentally dropping them ‘into’ another card (I know I can choose to prevent that, but sometimes I want that behaviour).

My suggestion is simply to increase the target area where you can drop a card between two others. In my opinion, it wouldn’t matter if this target area overlapped the cards - because when you’re dragging and dropping, you’re not really looking at where the mouse is, but where the dragged object is.

I forgot to add…

There is a similar problem with drag and drop in the binder. It is far too easy to drag an item into another one, instead of above or below it. One pixel out, it seems, and it’s gone! This is made worse by the fact that the item you’re dragging covers up most of the blue bar that tells you whether you’re in the right place or not.

You can get considerably more space between index cards than what you have in the screenshot; that just looks like the default which is only around 20% of the way up the slider. Click on the little index card icon in the lower right of the corkboard, in the footer bar for card size and other display settings.

In the Binder, if you find drag and drop too touchy we do have keyboard shortcuts for all of this. Use Ctrl together with the arrow keys to move items around in an intuitive spatial way. I never could achieve any kind of precision with those little trackpads, and they are even worse when dragging and dropping. I think it’s just a problem with how small they are. Hitting the right pixels is difficult (and there are indeed more than one to hit, it just might seem like only one with a low-precision input device).

Hi - I’m not looking for more space between cards. I’d like far less! as this is valuable wasted screen space. And yes indeed I could change my hardware to solve this problem!

But why not implement the software solution that I suggest? There is a very large area available to drop a item into another, and a very small area available to drop an item between two others - in both the cork board and the binder. So why not even it up a bit?

I agree the drop zone could be handled a bit better, and if there is a way to tweak it I’m sure it’s on the list to do so. For some things like this though we are at the mercy of the programming toolkit that handles all of the low-level stuff like drop zones (we’ve already done a lot in the Binder over the default interface for this—it’s a bit of a delicate balance). We’re giving it a grid of items, and a part of that grid includes the dropshadow merge with the background texture. So at the minimum padding width there are only what seem to me around 2 or 3 pixels in the middle. As I say, expanding the amount of padding between cards will increase the size of the zone, but I understand if that is undesirable. I’m not sure what to suggest to you though.

Eventually the keyboard shortcuts should work on the Corkboard, too.

Is it not possible to increase the drop zone beyond the shadow so that it includes a couple of pixels of the card itself? This is counter-intuitive, perhaps, but I don’t think it matters if the between-the-cards drop-zone actually overlaps the card. If you’re wanting to drop a card into another one, you’ve got a generous area to aim for.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. On the Mac we have it set up so that the card is divided roughly into thirds, with the middle third being the drop zone for nesting a card, and everything else being a “between” zone. If we can do that with the Qt programming kit that would be great, but right now the whole card and its drop shadow are considered “thing”.

Ok, I guess we’re stuck with it. Thank you for explaining that.

Yeah, but we do know about it and if we can find a solution we will do so. It’s one of those many little areas of refinement that are hard to collectively implement across the entire breadth of the application that are the proverbial straws. We’ve got the main core features set up now, and that gives us time to work on areas of polish like this. And getting those keyboard shortcuts implemented on the corkboard would help a lot. If the trackpad is too small to make it easy to work with, then at least you can fall back to Ctrl keys.