Increasing Indent 7 Spaces

I’m coming from a program where I got in the habit of using a handy text formatting tool called Increase Indent. This moved the cursor only seven spaces in, rather than what appears to be 12 spaces when using the Tab key.

So, I’m wondering if this is possible in Scrivener? And if it is, is it possible to assign a keyboard command to implement it, since I use it all the time in my writing style? Thanks.

If you have any plans to compile to ebooks, or html, for heaven’s sake don’t use spaces or tabs to indent your paragraphs; it will cause you all sorts of headaches. You can adjust paragraph indents using the ruler to whatever level you like.

If you do need to tab, then you can, once again, use the ruler to create and adjust the tab stops to whatever depth you prefer.

Both of these adjustments can be done in the Scrivener->Preferences->Editor section and then applied to existing documents using Documents->Convert->Convert Formatting to Default Text Style.

Edit: Here’s an earlier discussion about the ‘wacky indents’ someone saw when viewing an ebook on their iphone… https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/wacky-indents-in-iphone/25288/1

The shortcuts for indents are in Format - Text - Increase/Decrease Indents and is in general control-option-command-right arrow. This will indent the entire paragraph. Using the menu you can also indent first lines and so on, but no preset key shortcuts are programmed for these.

Format - Text - Tabs and Indents allows you to set what the amount of indentation is in steps. This is measured in points. So if your text is 12 points, 7 spaces would be 7 x 12 = 84 points. You can set your tabs in this menu palette as well.

Just remember that a relative indent such as x points is different from “7 spaces”

If what you really want is to set up this spacing, use a monospace font at a specific point size and tab-size accordingly. Robert is right though - this is a mess if you want to compile to a kindle or epub ebook. Far better to format a given paragraph using Format - Text - Tabs and Indents, and set your First Line indent in an appropriate amount of points (e.g. with 12-point text, set the First Line Indent to 84 points). Then make a preset of the paragraph, or for a given project, go to Project - Text Preferences… and then check the box for Use Different text for documents in this project, and set the first line indent for Use Current, which should get you what you want. There will be no tabbing required.

• asotir

“The shortcuts for indents are in Format - Text - Increase/Decrease Indents and is in general control-option-command-right arrow. This will indent the entire paragraph. Using the menu you can also indent first lines and so on, but no preset key shortcuts are programmed for these.”

Thanks, this appears to be exactly what I’m looking for. However the keyboard sequence (control-option-command-right arrow) does not activate this command. Is there any way to modify this keyboard command?

Quite possibly the OS has some system wide use for that key combination, so check in your system preferences for that. I don’t know if it works on mine, since I don’t use it, but in other programs I have found the shortcuts don’t work. I am lazy so I just use the mouse and menus and have no experience in fixing the conflict, sorry.

If you get it working, post how you did so, then another user who wants to employ this shortcut will know how. Unhappily, this might be only a temp fix - Apple might command any future key combinations as it releases future versions of OSX.

• asotir

Has it ever been a consideration that Scrivener would allow the user to write their own keyboard short-cuts? Some of the other writing programs I’ve used over the years have allowed this. Very useful, especially for writers who have our particular quirks about how we like to write …

You can make your own shortcuts to any menu on a native Mac program, which includes scrivener. Take a look here: scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … er-for-mac

If the menu item is not uniquely named, you can use the entire path, joining with -> so that it becomes uniqe. Example:
File->Back Up->Back Up To…

Thanks Robert.

I did get the system preference overwrite to work for Increase & Decrease Indents. but I notice, at least so far, that these menu items still show the old keyboard assignments. Is this normal?