Indented paragraphs not displaying right in .epub

First of all, my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched and can’t seem to find any topics that directly address my issue.

The issue I’m having is this: I have some of the paragraphs in my manuscript set up as block quotes; that is, fully indented 0.5" from the left margin, like you’d see if you used the

tag in HTML. However, when I compile to .epub, only the first line is indented. Nothing I do seems to affect this. I have done all of the following:

• Used the ruler to set both first line and left indent to 0.5"
  • Set a unique paragraph preset called “Intro Body” which does this to all paragraphs that I want to indent
  • In the Compile dialog, in the Contents section, checked the “As Is” check box next to the file in question
  • In the Compile dialog, in the Formatting section, unchecked the “Override text and notes formatting” check box

And yet, when I compile to .epub and view the compiled file in Simple Epub Reader from Google, the paragraph still appears with only its first line indented. What in the heck am I doing wrong?

A question: is it at all possible to format text like that in epub? Epub readers give the reader full control of page width, font and font size, etc, so I would expect the epub compiler to simply ignore all your format settings.

I believe that there is at least some measure of control over it. When “As Is” is checked, the paragraphs in question display other differences from the normal .epub formatting, such as my first line indentation being 0.5" instead of the default 0.25". It just doesn’t respect the indentation of the rest of the left margin.

I suspect what you need to do is make a preset for your indented paragraphs, and from the Format > Formatting menu choose “Preserve formatting” for that preset … I think that’s what it’s called.

Note, I haven’t compiled to ePub and am on Mac, but I presume that you have the same menu options on Windows and that that would work.

Mark

Nope, that doesn’t work. Still only indents the first line.

If you Google ‘epub indent text’ you find a lot of useful links. It appears to be a bit complicated, but doable.

One example:

epubsecrets.com/formatting-poetr … part-1.php

Ah, cool! Thanks. :slight_smile: