indents are too deep when compiling for word mac

Dear All,

I’m finding the compile feature rather confusing.

I’m using Lion, and Scrivener 2.2

When I tried to compile a project for Word (Mac), Scrivener put up a dialogue suggesting strongly that this be done using Rich Text, so that all formatting would be preserved. I did this, and then opened the .rtf document in Word to find that all the indents were twice as ‘deep’ as in the original, Scrivener document. That is, it’s as if I’d pressed Tab twice for the indent.

I tried compiling the project as a .docx, which has been more successful (correct indent depth in general), but as I go through the book in Word I find that many of the indents have disappeared - these are now justified left, and have to be tabbed again to create the paragraphs I want.

I’m sure there’s something simple I’m missing, but advice would be welcome.

Once more, I’ve got a lot out of Scrivener; it’s a very useful part of the toolbox and I thank you for it.

Best,

Roger

Hi Roger,

In the “Formatting” pane of Compile, have you got it set up to override the text and notes formatting? If so, that may be the culprit.

All the best,
Keith

Dear Keith,

Thank you very much for your prompt and knowledgeable reply!

I’ve unchecked the ‘override’ box in the Formatting pane, and it worked. Thank you so much. Clearly there are many things to learn, and I may well post again, but I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

Roger

Hi Roger,

One thing to try when compiling if you’re ever stuck is to set “Format As” to “Original”. This will cause Compile to do nothing with your text - it will just place any empty line between documents, but other than that it leaves everything untouched - the formatting will be as it is in the editor, and no titles or anything else will get added. That’s a good way of checking that nothing odd is going on; if the text appears okay there, then you know it’s a compile setting (and you can always start tweaking settings from there). The main pane to get to know in Compile is the “Formatting” pane - that’s the one that allows for complete customisation of the output, and thus it’s that one that can be most daunting at first. Once you get the hang of that one (and maybe have a vague knowledge of the sorts of options available in “Transformations”), everything else should be straightforward. But because of the flexibility involved - “Formatting” has to allow users to tweak the formatting of any project with any structure - it can seem a little daunting at first.

All the best,
Keith

Dear Keith,

Once again, many thanks. This is going to be very useful for the next compile.

Thank you!

Best wishes and gratitude,

Roger