Indents disappearing in PDF Compile

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help me with a problem. I’ve written a novel in Scrivener and intend to self-publish. But when compiling, Scrivener is choosing to ignore some indents. To begin with, it was the first line of every chapter. I thought perhaps the problem was that I started each chapter with a different font just for the first letter, and Scrivener couldn’t handle it. So I placed the indents in manually with the space bar, and it worked. But now compile is ignoring the indents of every SECOND paragraph, in almost every chapter, and adding spaces in manually has no effect - it ignores those spaces as well.

I have googled as extensively as possible and scoured this forum, but found no mention of this problem. I should mention I’m using Scrivener 2.2. I can’t splash out on an upgrade because I bought a whole sheaf of expensive programs at a certain point, all of which may fail if I upgrade my OS from Yosemite 10.10.5.

Please help. It would be a terrible shame if after all this work I put in I would have to copy/paste and reformat in another program because Scrivener leaves me with a less-than-professional publishing manuscript! It just can’t be allowed to happen. Thanks for any input in advance.

UPDATE: I found this thread at the top of the forum as soon as I’d posted this: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/removes-first-line-indent-from-second-paragraph-as-if-it-was-the-first/45127/1

It seems to reference the problem I’m having, but it’s confusing and I’m not sure what the solution to this is. I tried resetting the style of my paragraphs but with no joy.

Hello, Happy_Tootles.

It is conventional to remove first-line indents in many published works, such as removing them after headings and section breaks.

Section 24.11.3 of the Scrivener 2 manual – accessible from the Help menu – has full details.

Your choice, of course, but using multiple spaces is likely to cause issues at some point, especially if you compile to ebook formats later on. You’ll have far more control over your design if you work with regular typographic tools.

Good luck with the book.

Slàinte mhòr.

Thanks for your reply, Joro. Could you point me in the direction of disabling this removal of indents feature? I haven’t been able to find it. It would really help me a lot. Thanks! Also, thanks for the encouragement. Always welcome.

Hi.

I no longer have Scrivener 2, and I can’t remember the exact way to do what you need to do.

If the manual doesn’t help, tech support should be able to: mac.support@literatureandlatte.com.

Slàinte mhòr.