InDesign CS5 and Scrivener

I hope someone can help the newbie - I am about to purchase Scrivener for mac OS X and need some help understanding what and why Scrivener will help me within my art.
I am an illustrator, non-linear thinker, using CS5 inDesign et.al.
My question is:
How does Scrivener interface with inDesign?
Do you import the Scrivener pages/ Draft folder into inDesign to create a pdf?

I am a graphic designer/illustrator and am looking at illustrating and writing children’s books, as well as exploring other formats for illustration.
The goal is to create a publication, with all my scattered images and thoughts and then to create a pdf to send to publishers.

This looks like a great program, and I thank you.

Last time I checked, the best way to work with these two programs is to expect very little by way of integration. Pretty much: do your original composition and revisions in Scrivener—using placeholder images if that helps your creative process (but don’t expect them to convey to ID)—then compile out to RTF and import the whole thing as you would any large text file into InDesign, and from that point on you’ll be leaving the Scrivener project alone, save for any notes and auxiliary material you want to have handy. For writing, further revisions, and final design, it will all be in InDesign.

Hopefully someone more familiar with ID can step in and add some tips that I am unaware, but the last time we had a thread on this topic, it was either what I just described above, or with some scripting tricks if I recall. Here is a link to that thread.

This is a very comprehensive thread, thanks for that. And your answer, too. I can set up text boxes to then “place” the Scrivener text into, yes? Am I thinking this the right way?
–using placeholder images if that helps your creative process (but don’t expect them to convey to ID
If they don’t convey to ID:
I guess the best question I need to ask is, how do you publish from Scrivener?
Like email a pdf to a publisher?

artdough

Right, that’s what I was thinking, just set up a text box that generates pages and when you import an RTF into it. I’m not an ID expert though. What I do is generate a PDF and deliver that, yes. I don’t use Scrivener’s built-in PDF generator, I use LaTeX, but otherwise yes. The only reason I stated that about images is that when I did some brief tests for the compatibility charts, InDesign wasn’t picking up RTF embedded images. It may be there is a better way to go about it than RTF. What formats does it read best? Can it do a pretty good job of a .doc file? If so, maybe Scrivener->RTF->Word|OpenOffice|NisusWriter->DOC->InDesign could be a way. While Scrivener does have a .doc/x option, it’s mostly just there for programs that can’t read RTF files and people with no way to make a good .doc out of an RTF.

Great, AmberV, thanks. I will try a free trial, do a small project, and try bringing it into ID and let you know which, or if, the RTF or .doc or what ever works. I will check with Adobe, too.
THis is what I found on the thread in ID just now:

[i]For writing, you might want to look into the top-rated Scrivener, which has versions for Macs and Windows, with the latter in beta. It’s got features that make writing flow much, much better than either Word or InDesign. Unlikely either, it’s designed for writing books.

Scrivener also has built-in support for export to ePub and the Kindle, along with a Word/rtf export that’s simpler and thus less like to cause trouble when importing into InDesign.

My workflow is to write in Scrivener until the content is virtually done and then import into InDesign for the final layout.[/i]

I use InDesign (with Photoshop) a lot of make figures (Transcripts that include images as well as text) for academic papers. I do my writing in Scrivener.
I get the Figure the way I want I want it in InDesign, then export it (frequently several at once) as EPS files using the InDesign Export function.
I then open these in Photoshop setting the DPI to 150. I crop them in Photoshop and then export them as Tiffs.
In Scrivener I make a new document for the Figure in the binder approximately where it will it appear. I then move the Tiff image to this page. I also move it the Document References page in the Inspector so I can get to it easily.
The images export without any problems during compile to produce a seamless document of text and figures.
I also put the original InDesign file in the Document References page. If I want to make a change I can go to it immediately.
I use the Figure <$n:figure:AtLeast1> notation to generate Figure numbers that can be referenced in the text automatically (and will change automatically if Figures are added or deleted).
I put a Figure Label on each image and use that to make a collection.

In a nutshell I use InDesign to create Tiff images which are placed in Scrivener, and use Document references, etc. to move easily between the two programs.