Index Cards: Just getting started

I’m new to Scrivener, and although I completed The Tutorial, I will begin my project by tranfering my longhand, physical index cards into the program. Any tips on this subject? Thanks

This is in fact something I do as well. Scrivener is a fantastic tool for transcribing handwritten text into digital documents. I wouldn’t say there is a particular “formula” to this, because it depends a bit on what you are looking to have as a result. In many cases the split editor function ([b]View/Editor/[/b] sub-menu) will be a valuable tool. You can dump all of the scans into the research folder, and then open those on one side of the editor and a corkboard or text document on the other side. The particular method I use doesn’t use splits, but rather makes use of the Document Notes feature. Notes can be attached to any type of file in the Binder, including scans.

[size=80]Viewing a scanned file with the Inspector open.[/size]

To view the Inspector, click the blue ‘i’ button in the toolbar. The notes panel is the default view, but if you’ve messed with it already you might need to click on the little notepad icon in the bottom left of the Inspector.

I like this method because I can go through a binder of scans by hitting [b]Opt-Cmd-DownArrow[/b] (or back with UpArrow). This can be done while I’m in the notepad, so I don’t even have to click anything to move on to the next card when I’m done. I just hit the keyboard shortcut and now I’m typing on the next card’s note field.

When I am done, I use [b]File/Export/Files...[/b] with the export notes option enabled, discard the exported graphics, and I’m done. That works for the way I work. I transcribe each of these things into an individual text file, which I’ll then dump into an archival database. This basic method I described could also be used to create a single file out of all the notes, using the Compile feature (it is possible to tell the Compiler to include document notes in the output—or even to use notes exclusively).