Inline Annotations Highlight Colour

I am probably missing something really basic here but is there a way to set a default highlight colour for inline annotations?
If I select an inline annotation text colour, it persists for all the following annotations, but for the life of me I cannot get the inline annotations highlight colour to persist.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don’t think you are missing something. Inline annotations have coloured text and are outlined, and any highlighting applied is on top of that and so won’t be persistent. It’s probably a way making sure annotations and comments have clearly different appearances.

Thanks RobG

I sort of figured that just before I read your post. I was highlighting the text area inside the annotation and changing the background which made it look like the annotation background had a different colour.

Would be nice if we could highlight the annotation with a different colour. It’s easy to miss them when using white text on a black background.

Thanks for getting back to me.

You can let annotations have a highlight instead of a text colour. In Scrivener->Preferences->Editing, in the Options panel. Tick the box next to “Do not color the text of inline annotations”. Your annotations will now display with a coloured outline and a faint highlight tint, You may prefer it.

Hope this helps!

Another option is to create a custom character style that applies the annotation formatting as well as a highlight and anything else you want–perhaps make the text bold or such. By assigning a shortcut to that style, you could regularly use that instead of the standard inline annotation shortcut (or menu option, however you choose to do it) and have your annotations always, say, size 16 bold and highlighted neon orange. :wink:

To create the style, format some annotated text the way that you want it all to look, select it and choose Format > Style > New Style from Selection… and be sure to set it to only the character formatting (though you could include font or font size if you wish). You can assign one of the style shortcuts here as well.

You can then use the style the same way you’d normally use the inline annotation command. The one caveat is is that when you remove the style (either by toggling off the annotation style you created or by setting it back to No Style or some other style that overwrites its formatting), the inline annotation setting will stay, so you will need to remove that separately.

Bingo! @Silverdragon, this is exactly what I wanted. I can now see them more easily,

@MIMETICMOUTON - I am going to give this a go over the weekend as I will probably need different styles of inline annotation as I go through the novel. Character specific inline annotations for example.

Am I correct that I cannot see a list of inline annotations like I can see a list of comments in the Inspector window? I would love this feature although I can probably just convert the annotations to comments. I find inlines a lot better though because it minimises the break in flow, specifically when I am drafting at full speed.

Thanks both for your quick response.

Although you can’t list the inline annotations the same way that you do the inspector comment, Scrivener has other tools that will help you work with them efficiently.

Find by Formatting allows you to search through your documents for inline annotations, so you can easily jump from one occurrence to the next. This can be further refined by searching for annotations of a specific color or containing specific text. FbF can likewise search for text with a specific style applied.

File > Export > Comments & Annotations creates an RTF file of the collated inline annotations (and inspector comments) of selected documents or the entire project, optionally marked with the document titles and even links back to the documents. This can be worked with outside of Scrivener or easily imported back in as a reference there.

A trick often use is to write my own text code at the beginning of a comment or annotation to indicate the type that it is–e.g. CH// for character-related, RS// for needs research, etc. I can then use that code in a project search to see which documents have annotations/comments related to the particular bit I’m working on, and in the exported document of collated annotations/comments it provides a way to sort the notes and group those of a kind together. It also provides a hook for narrowing the Find by Formatting search, as mentioned.

Thanks MimeticMouton

I really like the idea of marking the annotations with tags. I will give that a shot.

Thanks,