Inline Footnote Formatting in 1.5.2?!

Hey everyone,

So I’m suddenly having trouble with my inline annotations. I had to change my keyboard shortcuts, because apparently “footnote” and “inline footnote” were the same (grumble, grumble). So, I got my shortcut working for inline footnotes, turned it on, typed my footnote, turned if off, and it removed the formatting from my footnote text. Huh. Tried again, same result.
I checked into the “turn off footnote before punctuation” option, to see if I could stop my footnoting before a period. It would mean more work for me later (punctuating my footnotes, a text littered with extra punctuation), but would get me up and running. No dice. The formatting stays on right through the punctuation.
I add spaces, then turn off the formatting, same deal. I lose the inline footnote formatting on the whole not.
Am I missing a new setting or something, or is this a legit bug? It makes it damn near impossible to type inline footnotes in the new version–which is a deal-breaker for me. Has anyone found a fix? A setting tweak I could try? A workaround?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

JDHistorian

This is a bug, I’m afraid. You can go back and apply the inline note style to the text after typing (and having typed some text following the note, so you can have a non-note formatted area to return to) but I realize that’s much less convenient. I’d suggest working with inspector notes for the time being; they can always be converted to inline notes later if you wish, but working with them initially will allow you to maintain the usual typing flow: type, press Shift-F5, type the inspector note, press Esc, and continue typing. If you like you can swap the shortcut for the inspector footnotes and inline footnotes using the Keyboard tab of Tools > Options, so you can keep your old muscle memory for that as well. (As a side note, regarding the keyboard shortcut conflicts when updating from the previous version, this was an unfortunate side effect of adding some new features. Selecting “Scrivener” from the “Import…” drop-down menu in the Keyboard options will reset them all to the new defaults.)

This bug affects inline annotations as well, so I’d offer the same workaround for those to anyone needing it, using inspector comments (Shift-F4) instead. As with footnotes, they can later be converted to inline notes if you like from the Format > Convert menu, and of course they have all the same options during compile.

Thanks for the quick response, Jennifer. Should I go and add this to the Bug Hunt forum, or has it already been noted there?

I already posted it in the Bug Hunt forum.

Also, thanks Jennifer! You’ve given me valuable workarounds until the bug is fixed! Although maybe I’ll start using the Inspector Comments & footnotes more.

I notice in Options- Keyboard Shortcuts, there are several duplicated key sequences, highlighted in red, which is a possible reason why they will not work.

The only default ones this way on a clean install of 1.5.2 should be Ctrl-Up and Ctrl-Down, which perform different functions when in the Binder/Outliner (move item up/down) and in the editor (superscript/subscript); since these are only functional in certain areas, they don’t really conflict, although the keyboard shortcut list isn’t sophisticated enough to know that and just indicates that there is a duplicate shortcut used.

As mentioned above, since there were changes with some features and also some shortcuts in the update, you may have conflicts from the previous version; selecting “Scrivener” from the “Import…” drop-down menu will refresh to the updated defaults.

Thanks for the quick reply
“you may have conflicts from the previous version; selecting “Scrivener” from the “Import…” drop-down menu will refresh to the updated defaults.”

Sorted!

We’ve got up version 1.5.3 with a fix for this issue, so if you haven’t already, run the check for updates so you can grab that and get back to work with the inline notation. If you’re already running 1.5.3 and switching out of the inline notation still isn’t working, please re-download the full 1.5.3 installer from our site and install that again–there ended up being two versions of 1.5.3 that got uploaded, so there was a brief period where you may have downloaded the initial version that didn’t include this fix.

I was experiencing this aswell (Ctrl-Shift-F, typing my inline footnote, hitting Ctrl-Shift-F again and seeing the inline footnote formatting disappear completely), so I just re-downloaded 1.5.3 directly from the site, installed again, and it’s still doing the same.

Is it me who’s doing something wrong here?

And actually, I would prefer using inspector footnotes, but the problem is hitting Shift+F5 doesn’t work in full screen mode on Windows. :frowning:

On a related note, another annoying behavior of the inspector footnotes call (I don’t know how to call this in english: the exact place where the note will be called in the text): when I put the cursor between a word and the following ponctuaion (blablablaX. = X is the cursor), the footnote INCLUDES the ponctuation instead of EXCLUDING it. So when I compile the note will be called AFTER the ponctuation instead of BEFORE (which is where we put it in my field and language). It is really annoying, and the Mac version is doing it correctly.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

The shortcuts not working for the inspector notes in full screen is a bug and I’ve flagged that for the developer. Inline footnotes should be working now to toggle on and off for the main use case, i.e. at the end of the note you toggle it off with the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-F and then continue typing–the new text should no longer be in the footnote formatting, but the previous text should remain unaltered. This was fixed in the later 1.5.3 update, which ought to be what you have now if you downloaded from the site, but if you had earlier downloaded 1.5.3 it’s possible your browser cache just regurgitated the old version when you attempted to download now. I don’t think that would happen if you’d used the auto-update, though. We’ve definitely had other confirmation that this is working, however, so we should be able to get it sorted on your set up as well. There is however an existing case (which will be corrected, but wasn’t included in the hotfix) whereby having the insertion point inside the note and using the shortcut will still convert the entire note to regular text. This should be avoidable by keeping the insertion point at the end of the footnote before toggling out of it–it sounds like that’s what you’re doing already, but I just want to verify. This is a known issue and as I said, it’s on the list for fixing.

Regarding the punctuation, you can change the way punctuation is handled for auto-selected text when creating inspector comments and footnotes via the option toward the bottom of the General tab of Tools > Options, “Terminate footnotes and comments before punctuation”.

Ahhh, thank you so much for this! I must have activated this on the Mac version ages ago and completely forgot about it.

Good to hear that the inspector footnotes in full screen mode will be working soonish.

About the inline footnotes bug, though, I still can’t get it to work: I’ve re-installed for the 3rd time in an hour, and last time I downloaded it through another browser I barely use and never for sure visited your website with to avoid any cache issue. Ctrl-Shift-F removes the whole inline footnotes as soon as I press it, cursor still at the end of the word. Oh well. No biggie, as long as I will be able to use the inspector footnotes in full screen someday.

PS. I re-installed over the old version, may that be the problem? I thought I didn’t need to uninstall it first.
PPS. I installed the Windows version for the first time on last sunday, February 10th. According to this thread, I’m under the impression that the “wrong” 1.5.3.0 was removed long before that.
PPPS. Conclusion: I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks anyway for all the help, it is much appreciated.

mtrahan
This sorted the probelem for me:

It might help you.

Thank you, I just tried it. Unfortunately, no change: when I hit Ctrl-Shift-F, the inline footnote still doesn’t “stop”, it just disappears. I appreciate the help, though.