Insert Tab in Script Settings

I’m trying to configure my script so that in one element I can hit tab to change elements on a blank line, but insert a regular tab when tabbing after typing. (This would normally be set in the Text>Scriptwriting>Script Settings and from there in the Tab/Return pane of my script element.) My problem is that when inserting a tab character in the text box at the bottom of this pane (using alt-tab), Scrivener will crash when it tries to insert it. Is there a special character in Scrivener to symbolize a tab, like \t in Word?

Here is a picture of the settings pane and more or less what I want to do with it:
Picture 1.jpg

Hi,

No, you’re doing nothing wrong here - you’ve just found a bug. When hitting tab after typing, Scrivener looks for the tab character and replaces it with whatever you set in that box. But because you’ve entered a tab, it keeps finding a tab and keeps trying to replace it with another tab, getting stuck in an infinite loop until it crashes. I’ve just added a check to fix this so that it won’t crash and will work as expected (your expectations of how it should work are correct).

The fix will be in the next 1.5 beta, which will be 1.5 beta 6. It will be available for download in the Beta Testing forum in the next couple of days, so look out for it there, but if you really need this functionality right now then drop me a line at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com and I can provide you with an intermediate build that fixes this particular issue.

Thanks for finding the bug!

All the best,
Keith

P.S. What theme have you got installed that makes the tabs look like that?

Cheers, Keith. I don’t need this right away, but thanks for asking! I’m still on my trial, but I was so impressed with your helpful response, on a Saturday, that you got yourself another sale. :slight_smile:

This is the theme you were asking about: iLeopard.

Have a nice weekend,
-Drew

Ah, interesting - I hope Apple go that way with Snow Leopard, I really like the look of it.

Thanks for buying, and again for helping track a bug.

All the best,
Keith