Insertion point jumps to end after first edit of the day

This started before Mojave. I launch Scrivener, my documents automatically open, I click to edit somewhere in the middle of the document, begin typing, and the spinning beachball appears. A few seconds later the insertion point has jumped to near the end of the document and my typing appears there. Once it gets that out of its system, everything works fine until the next day when I boot up. It’s very consistent. Anyone else have this problem?

Mac mini, OS 10.14, Scrivener 3.0.3

I’m glad you mentioned this. The same is happening to me, but I did not associate it with Mojave. I thought I was just hitting a strange keyboard combination. It’s not a show-stopper issue, of course, but you can find yourself typing text into the wrong area.

Is this in scrivenings or regular text? Could you please provide instructions on how to reproduce, since I have never seen this myself?

It occurs when I begin my first edits for the day in regular text. It usually jumps to the bottom of the text, but I’ve also seen it jump to the final Scrivening.
For a test I quit and restarted Scrivener and didn’t experience the problem, so I shut down my Mac and restarted and still didn’t see the problem. But I believe I’ve had it every day for weeks (maybe since ver. 3, but I’m guessing).

Strange. I can’t think what would cause this. As soon as the text is loaded, Scrivener sets the selected range on it - the range that was last used. I wonder if that is somehow getting triggered after you’ve clicked elsewhere, although I can’t imagine how. Are you using page view or regular view?

Page view, and I usually have two pages open, side by side.

Strange, I still can’t reproduce it. I tried 10,000 words in page view, closing and reloading, and then clicking and editing in the document - I had no problems. If you have a lot of text, the page view may be loading the content at the end of the text, adding more pages, for a couple of seconds after loading. What happens if you watch the scroll bar and wait for it to stop adjusting before typing? (You’ll see the scroller getting smaller as the text is laid out across the pages.)

I’ll try that and report back. It may be a few days before I can be sure it’s working. Thanks for the help.

Update #1. This morning I waited for all the text to load (5 tabs, approximately 400,000 words total), then began to edit a two-page document which is the right half of a split window (page view). The first letter I typed I got a spinning beachball that lasted five or six seconds, then the letter appeared on screen in the proper place. Everything looks normal after that initial pause.
Update #2. This morning I waited longer after launch (5 min. or so), then began editing. All looked fine until I used the right-arrow key to move the insertion point. This yielded a spinning beach ball for several seconds, then all was well.

This morning I waited for all documents to load text, typed a new sentence where I left off yesterday, deleted it using the Delete key, then pressed the right arrow key (this triggered the beach ball yesterday) and after a few seconds the insertion point was positioned one character in on the last scrivening of the document. I hope I’m using that term correctly — it’s the title of the last scene.

Update 10-22-18. Same procedure as above, but only one scene was selected in the binder. I typed a bit, which was normal, then pressed the left-arrow key, which brought up the beach ball for a few seconds but didn’t more the insertion point. So it appears that after the program is launched, the first time the left, right or down arrow keys are pressed sends the program to the beach. If multiple scenes are open in the editing window the insertion point winds up in the last one, sometimes in the text, sometimes in the scrivening.

This same thing is happening to me the first time I use the right arrow key. It jumps to the beginning of the last scrivenings document. It does this consistently, although I am not getting the spinning beachball. Just a jump. I was hoping upgrading to Mojave might fix this, but no luck.

Mac OS 14 on a new Mac Air.
Scrivener 3.03

The first thing I would do is disable all ordinarily used background utilities to make sure that (a) nothing is interfering with Scrivener directly and (b) nor taking up a huge amount of computing resources periodically.

The best way to do that is to log out of your account and then back in, holding down the Shift key right after pressing return on your password. Keep it held down until fully logged in. The only things running should be Finder and other system level stuff. I’d recommend launching nothing other than Scrivener and seeing if the problem goes away.

If it does help, then start launching the stuff you typically run all of the time. A good place to check is in System Preferences: Users & Groups: Login Items. You can double-click on these entries right in the list to launch them. As you do so, always be sure to go back and try to replicate the halting condition in Scrivener, before moving on to the next one. That way if the problem suddenly returns, it is very likely the last one you launched.

Thanks for the advice. Logging out and in with the shift key down didn’t appear to do anything (apps still launched at login). So I rebooted with the shift key down, and that stopped the automatic launches but Scrivener had the same problem. I’ve eliminated everything except Adobe Creative Cloud, which doesn’t appear to have any way to prevent auto launching. I had five tabbed documents opening in scrivener and I cut that down to one, so now it launches faster, and when I hit any arrow key it’s quicker to jump to the end of the document. I assume your advice indicates that most people aren’t experiencing this problem.

This thread is the first I’ve seen of this particular symptom. A bit of typing lag now and then, sure—anything can cause that, even Spotlight churning the disk in the middle of the day—but physically moving the cursor to the end of the editor in a predictable fashion is pretty weird.

You mentioned having five projects all opening at once—there might be some processing going on in there that could slow things down for a few seconds. To separate any actual glitch from unavoidable system overload, I’d try to reproduce this with a much simpler example—the interactive tutorial might be a good starting point.

Also if you don’t mind downloading and running (you don’t need to install, you can run it from Downloads if you wish to leave your environment intact) the 3.1 beta, it would be good to do so—just to make sure we aren’t looking at something already indirectly fixed.

I ran the beta from Downloads and edited the same project and it worked fine. Thanks for your time and effort. I’ll wait for the release version.

Great, glad to hear it; thanks for checking on that.