Inspector and my friend the zoom button

Hi Keith,

Slowly, I’m coming to grips with Scrivener (slowly, not because Scrivener is hard to understand, but because I need time to get a feel for how to adapt its amazing capabilities to my own way of working).

I’ve been wondering if it would be possible to design the Inspector so that it doesn’t change the main text window width when it’s invoked. I know the zoom button is supposed to be my friend, but I do find it a bit disconcerting to have to mouse up to the left upper corner every time I display or hide the Inspector.

It would be neat if the Inspector just added itself outside the Text window area instead of encroaching on it, necessitating a zoom just to keep the text flow consistent.

Best,

Joey

Not a bad suggestion, but this behaviour is more common with a drawer… If you think of most programs that have an inspector like the one in Scrivener, this is the expected behaviour.

One trouble is that the flipside of this is that you would want the window to resize back to its old size once you closed the inspector. This would mean that Scrivener would have to remember the old size. But then, what if you resize the window? Which size should Scrivener use when you close the inspector then?

So, I’ll mull this one over, but I’m not promising anything. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

Hm. Just to check I started up DVD Studio Pro, where the main window has a similiar Inspector button, in the same place. But the DVSP Inspector doesn’t change the are of the main window. If the main window takes up most of the screen area, Inspector just overlaps. And this is an Apple program… :wink:

I guess the hitch is that in DVDSP, Inspector is a separate window, while in Scrivener it seems to be an additional component of the main window. Generally, I think it would make the most sense to me if Inspector expands the main window to make room for itself and then leaves the text window the size it is when Inspector is closed again.

FWIW.

Best,

Joey

Have you ever played with Aperture? That has an inspector as part of the same window, same as Scrivener - and it behaves the same as Scrivener. Like I say, I’ll consider this, but no promises.
All the best,
Keith

I like it the way it is to be honest.

I keep most apps at full screen, which means that I have a tendency to adjust the main window to make sure I have enough room for the inspector, then when I close it, I adjust it again. I find that a bit annoying

I’d rather have the resizing taken care of by the application. If I’m opening the inspector, then I obviously want to see as much of it as possible; if I’m closing it, then I want the extra space, presumably for the main window.

Just my 2 euros.

Sorry, Rayz, I’m a little confused by your reply. :slight_smile: You say you like it the way it is, but then you say you find the way it is annoying and you would rather it resize automatically? I think I am misreading you.

Incidentally, if you like to have the window take up your whole screen, have you adjusted the default text width in the Preferences so that it is a very large number (eg. 2000) - that way Scrivener will automatically fit your screen rather than the various elements when you hit zoom.

All the best,
Keith

Sorry, that was really poorly written (and I call myself a writer!)

What I meant to say was that I prefer the way Scrivener does now.

What I find annoying are other apps with a slide out inspector, because I then have to adjust the main window when I open/close the inspector.

Scrivener has it right; if I didn’t want the inspector, I close it, so I expect the main window to reclaim the space. If I open the inspector, then I want to see all of it, so I don’t mind the main window shrinking to accomodate it.

I agree with Rayz here. I have Scr. open full window most of the time and I like that the inspector fits itself into it without me having to adjust thing or move things around.

Well, I still agree with myself here :wink: I suppose it comes down to different work habits. I use a fairly large screen (1600 x 1200) and for me, comfortable reading ends at around 60 characters per line, so I size the text window accordingly, which is maybe two thirds of the screen width.

My problem with the current Inspector beviour is that as the text column is resized, I lose focus of where in the text I am and have to look for the keyword in a new ‘geographical’ position.

Perhaps because I wrote a couple of books on a good ol’ mechanical typewriter, I find it a bit disconcerting to have the text slippin’n’slidin’ on the page. :stuck_out_tongue:

Best,

Joey

BTW; yes, I’ve been sniffing around Aperture, which I think is rather underwhelming from the image editing POW – no Curves function, the Noise reduction feature does nothing useful and even v. 1.5 has a molasses feel about it. Adobe is going to run rings around Aperture when Lightroom is finally released, I think.

Cutting into the text is the least offensive cut, I think. Expanding and contracting a window size that has already been set up is generally bad behaviour (and part of what I loathe about Drawers). So the only other split to cut into is the Binder – which rarely has enough to accomodate the width of the Inspector. It is kind of annoying, but honestly what else can it do? Maybe I am weird, but with 1600x1200, I would just leave the Inspector open all of the time, and optimise the width of the text area to work with it being open (preferred width preference really does come in handy). 1600 pixels is a lot of space, especially if you are like me in that you only like a typewriter’s handful of characters across a row.

The thinking is that you are unlikely to open and close the inspector frequently. You will either have it open for a period of editing or closed for a period of composing (or whatever). When it does cut into the text, the zoom button is “intelligent”. It will expand everything to accommodate your own preferred text width as per the preferences. Most zoom buttons are far less intelligent. :slight_smile:

I love the intelligent zoom. A pox on TextEdit’s insane maximize button! Not only is Scrivener’s intelligent – it is double-intelligent. Open two documents side-by-side, and it will zoom to the width so that both sides can be your preferred document width. That is a lovely, subtle touch.

I am a new Scrivener user. I’ve come across this great piece of software at the beginning of my dissertation and think it is perfect for this - Thank You! I can see very few things that I would like to be different and what Spitfire31 suggests is one of them. I really, really like how Nisus Writer Express (MacJournal does this too) deals with the drawer and would personally like the binder and inspector to work in the same manner. I have a 13" macbook and it can be a bit tricky finding the real estate to not squish my main window when wanting to check something in the binder. This is probably just a personal quirk of how I work. I actually think a good way around this wanting to move between texts/segments of chapters is addressed in the split window feature and the movement forward/backward in the “history”. Nonetheless, it’s called a “Wish List” for a reason, right? :smiley: Anwyay, my two cents. Thanks for helping me with my dissertation by creating a great writing tool.

Thanks for your feedback, Mark! Unfortunately (for you :slight_smile: ), I doubt I will change this behaviour any time soon. I will see what others think, but generally this is how inspectors like this work - see Aperture, for instance. It kind of assumes that you set up your workspace how you want it. Especially on a widescreen MacBook, you can afford to have the inspector open all the time… I do understand the point, though; the problem is just that it is not a drawer (drawers are on the way out, it would seem).
All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith. I think it’s interesting how our tools shape the way we think and move around our heads and texts. I guess I need to do some mental calisthenics to work (out) in better sync with Scrivener more.