Installation Assistance?

I’m new to Linux, and not familiar with a lot of the terminology. However, I installed 32-bit ubuntu 11.10 on an old Dell Latitude, and that works fine. Now, I’m trying to install the Linux Scrivener, but having trouble. I see that there is a Deb beta link, but I do not see a non-deb link.

If someone can direct me to the proper download I would be most grateful.

Ubuntu does use .deb files (it’s based on Debian, which is where “.deb” comes from). So yes, that .deb file is what you want to install.

Thank you for the reply. I tried that earlier and got this error message:

The package is of bad quality

The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn’t allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.

The package doesn’t provide a valid Installed-Size control field. See Debian Policy 5.6.20.

The quick and dirty way:

What you can do is unpack the .deb. You should get two other files. Unpack those. The file you want is in ~/$scrivfolder/usr/share (or wherever else you unpacked it.) Copy the “LiteratureAndLatte” file somewhere in your path. (I believe it expects to be in /usr.) You should be able to start Scrivener. (Might have to adjust your path variable to point to the new directory inside usr, though.)