Instructions for Simple Compile - title and text

I’ve been using Scrivener for years, but struggling to get to grips with Scrivener 3 compile. There is no logic whatsoever! All I want to do is compile with the titles and text of my work. Nothing else. Nothing fancy. I can format with something more user friendly. But can I get this basic information out of the bl**dy programme? Nope. There don’t appear to be any instructions either. Can anybody please post step-by-step instructions just go allow me to get on with my work?

To make this crystal clear, all I would like is:

1. Title
    My text.

1.1 Subtitle
My text

That’s it!

It takes some initial setup if you haven’t managed to use a template with it already done for you.

For the sake of not wasting anyone’s time, do you know how to see “Document Type” in the outline view? Do you know what a “Document Type” metadata field is, and what it’s for? And finally, do you know how to set up compile to assign document formats to each Document Type that you’ve used?

Without explaining any of that, ad assuming you know how to answer the above, here’s what I’d do:

DOCUMENT TYPE SETUP

Using the outline view, I’d verify that logical document types have been assigned to all of my folders & documents. If they aren’t, then I’d go into the project’s settings and make sure the set of document types have relevant names, and that they are assigned automatically to the hierarchy of my binder organization in the majority of cases.

With that sorted, I’d use the outline to manually assign document types to any documents that deviate from my “normal” binder organization.

Then, with all of my document marked with the appropriate document types, I’d start the compile process.

COMPILE SETUP

From there, I’d choose Enumerated Outline on the left. I’d then click Assign Layouts (middle pane), and choose the first “layout”, which shows “1.1 Section title” as the example output and assign it to all of the document types that I used in my project.

REPEATED COMPILES

From that point forward, unless you fiddled with the compile settings or changed how document types are assigned, it’s a simple matter of running compile and choosing the output format (print, pdf, plain text, html…)

Rdale’s advice for your immediate need is good.

For the future, if you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users. As you’ve discovered, Scrivener 3 has some very significant changes. You can find it here:
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Katherine