Integrate comments with word

Sorry if this has been asked previously; i could not find relevant information after google or forum search.

Using Scrivener I wrote my article and exported as Word .docx format for my collaborators.
They provided edits in Word with tracking.
What is the work flow now for me to integrate the changes?

Apart from incorporating their changes? future versions of the export should show what changes I made using the Word track edits function.

Is that possible with Scrivener?

If not, how do others deal with draft changes backwards and forwards between editors/collaborators?

thans.

Hi all,

so I take it there are no solution to the problem? So how do people deal with edits from Word?

As far as I know, there is no version tracking of any kind in Scrivener. I suspect that you will have to use cut and paste, though I could be wrong. Annotations should go back and forth between Word and Scrivener, if I’m not mistaken, but I haven’t used Word for some time now. Others may be able to suggest something better based on more recent experience of Word. Nowadays I avoid it as much as I can.

Cheers, Martin.

If you save the word file as rtf , then import into scrivener, comments will show up in the Notes and Comments section of the inspector.

Ray

Comments are also exported from Scrivener, in rtf. So it’s possible to go back and forth from Scrivener to Word, keeping comments intact.

Tracked changes are not supported in Scrivener, so they aren’t imported and obviously can’t be exported (since they aren’t there).

How extensive are the comments?

For minor comments, I typically just keep the file in Word. For more extensive changes, up to and including complete rewrites, I’ll typically accept all the changes in Word, import the resulting file into Scrivener, and go from there. (Taking backups at intermediate points as needed.)

Obviously this only works if I don’t need to preserve the version history, and can produce a “clean” second draft with no markup. But heavily marked up files become unreadable anyway, and starting with a clean draft lets readers judge it on its own merits, rather than worrying about whether this or that change was incorporated.

Note that you can use Word’s Compare Versions feature to create a change list if you decide you need one later on.

Katherine