Interesting reading about Word

To those among us who want or have to work with Word, and in particular to those who often make long and complex documents in Word, I highly recommend reading Clive Huggan’s “Bend Word to your will (or try to)”, which I didn’t know until some days ago. It’s very instructive and very well written essay (or rather, a manual in itself) not about how we all would like Word to be (as almost all manuals and guides to Word are), but about how Word really behaves in everyday working practice.

And I must confess that, after having read it, my conclusion was: use Word only if you have to … …

See word.mvps.org/aboutmvps/clive_huggan.htm (the second link).

I have written all my (14) novels with a simple, but useful textprocessor I once programmed for my own needs. I have written one book with WORD, because it was not a novel and needed a lot of subheaders and sub-sub-headers and all that stuff… but it was horrible! I know WORD very well, I once even gave WORD seminars once in a while, but to actually write a whole book with it was cruel. I was glad when I could return to my old MS-DOS-textmachine and took an oath never to use WORD again for the writing of anything longer than 10 pages… :laughing:

Now that I switched to the Mac and to Scrivener, everything is different (and better), of course…