Interface for Name Generator

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a public interface for the Name Generator built into Scrivener? What I mean is:
a) Is there a way to get Scrivener to call an external program that generates the names differently than what Scrivener does?
b) Is there a way to change the lists of names that are built into Scrivener so that I can use Scrivener’s facility but with my own name list?

I write fantasy/science fiction and often create constructed languages for the cultures in my stories. The languages may be simple naming languages or more fully developed ones. I’d like to be able to use the name generation facility in Scrivener but use names from my constructed languages.

Is what I’m asking possible or should I add a post to the “Wish List” forum? :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Lee

You can create your own lists to import into the name generator. The end of section 21.5 in the user manual (available from the Help menu) explains how to do this. If you want, you can post the lists online in the Tips & Tricks forum to share with other users. Some other people have done this, so you might want to search the forum there to see if anything is of interest. Most of what I remember are historical lists, so maybe not so helpful for a specific scifi/fantasy culture, but maybe they’ll be inspirational. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Jennifer! I’m sorry it was a case of RTFM…I glossed through the manual, but don’t remember seeing anything. Must be my bad memory. I guess it’s true; as you get older, the second thing to go is your memory. I don’t remember the first. :smiley:

Thanks again,
Lee