INTERNAL 'bookmarks' (for major running themes/concepts)

I’d love to be able to flag blocks of text (NOT whole chapters/sections) by keyword, then pull these out from the binder or cork board, to review that I’ve covered the development of that particular concept fully and without repetition etc. But I can’t find any way to do this neatly.

I’d prefer if the ‘flagged’ text was NOT unduly highlighted e.g. by underscoring it as a link, except when being ‘found’… ideally then by a mild background highlight or something.

None of the existing facilities for bookmarks, tags, labels, keywords etc. really fit this bill. Or have I missed something?

You haven’t missed anything, but I’ve seen several iterations of requests for tagging sections of text in a document. None of them where deemed viable by the creator of Scrivener. The core design of Scrivener is that you can break down your test into multiple binder items, and upon compile (or even in the binder) combine them into one.

The most likely counter-suggestion to your wish here is that you should break your chapter down into multiple parts, so that you can isolate these themes, and then tag them with some kind of metadata. Searching that metadata would then give you all of the relevant passages to review. Once you’re ready to compile, you can either set up compile to combine those pieces seamlessly, or you could manually merge the parts of each chapter into one document again if you’re done with your reviews of those parts.

This won’t do everything, but you get a fair way there with Inline annotations.

E.g. you have two major themes, Death and Taxes. You could begin each relevant paragraph with the annotation THM: Death, THM: Taxes. (I suggest using a prefix like this for easier searching). This gives you the following:

1. You can do a quick search (ctl-opt-g) for occurrences of THM: or THM: Death / THM:Taxes – that will give you links directly to the top ten paragraph hits, as well as to the documents where the hit occurs.

[attachment=2]Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 13.17.24.png[/attachment]

1. A project search will give you a collection (which you can save) of all the documents where the hit occurs. You can treat this collection as a scrivening, and use Edit > Find > Find by Formatting to go from each annotation beginning with THM etc, so you can follow the argument from relevant paragraph to relevant paragraph (shift-cmd-opt-g / ctl-opt-cmd-g Find Next / Previous Formatting would be useful here).
    [attachment=1]Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 13.12.36.png[/attachment]

2. When you come to compile, you can opt to remove all comments, so you don’t have to waste time going through the Editor and removing them manually.

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2020-10-27 at 13.23.41.png[/attachment]

You can of course change the colour of the text of the annotation in the normal way (highlight it and choose the new colour from the colour picker cmd-shift-c) to make it less obtrusive. This will only work for new annotations, of course, so you may have to go back and change existing ones.

Obviously this process isn’t exactly what you’re asking for, but as a workaround for the time being, perhaps there’s something in there you could use?

HTH.

Yes, exactly. The response to requests like this is generally: Scrivener already provides tools to do what you want. Insisting on single-document “chapters” misses the whole point of Scrivener’s design.

Katherine