Internal links in a text document--like an anchor

This seems like a basic question, but I’m just not finding an answer in the forum or elsewhere on the web, so:

I want to create a link to a specific word in a text document within a draft (sorry: still getting used to the terminology). Not a link to another document; I want to jump to what is usually called an anchor in word-processing programs, which could be a few paragraphs or a few page away.

This is only for my own use–I don’t need the links to persist in a compiled/published document.

I feel like I’m missing something very obvious, but–I’m pulling a lot of documents into Scrivener, and this is really important to my work process.

Thanks…

You might like to start with this thread:

Mark

Thanks for your quick reponse. I read through the post a few times, and finally saw this:
“So while Scrivener does lack a webpage or word processor style mechanism for linking directly to a chunk of text with a single click…”, which explains why I couldn’t find that mechanism, I guess. :<

I’ll continue trying to parse out a workable solution for my own navigation needs (the reason I was considering a switch over to Scrivener in the first place). The response you linked to offers quite a few, though none exactly what I’m looking for.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Obsidian and links

I’m also surprised and disappointed that there’s no way to create a simple “jump” to some location within a Scrivener “document”. There is no way I could structure my rough research drafts with sufficient granularity to provide what I need. The feature I long for seems simple, though perhaps it’s not, given the way Scrivener is structured. I want to put “see xxx” in the text of a “document” and when I click on the “xxx” my cursor is repositioned wherever that pointer references within that document. And then when I click on the “xxx” destination, I’m returned to the original “xxx” location.

This is really just a “jump to marker” and later on a “return from last marker jump” operation. In practice, one could insert multiple markers and clicking on any one would move the cursor to the next one, in a circle. A feature like this would remove a lot of inconvenience for me – but maybe there IS a way in Scrivener’s amazing complement of features. So far I haven’t found anything other than to make up a “marker” (e.g., “xxx”) and insert it wherever I may want to jump to. Then I use Ctrl/Cmd-F to Find all those markers.

1 Like

This is what Document Links are for.

As the name implies, these point to component documents in the project, not to text locations, but they otherwise accomplish everything you describe.

Have you looked through the post that was linked to above? While there are some ideas in there very similar to what you describe here, there are a few things you can do to make this approach more efficient.

Thanks, Kewms. I’ve tried Document Links, but unfortunately I need to link to a marked block of text, not to a whole document. Ideally, I’d like to hyperlink to a named target anywhere in any document in the current project.

Thanks, AmberV. Yes, I’ve gone through your detailed set of techniques, and found them very interesting, and wonderfully presented. Many thanks for being so thorough in that thread – I’ve learned a few important things about Scriv in the process.

It seems pretty clear now that the kind of targeting I’d like to do just isn’t part of Scriv’s overall strategy. Although the flexibility is ample for numerous alternative strategies, some of which will surely prove appropriate for other projects of mine, there just isn’t any way to provide the simple mechanism I was looking for. My surprise at not finding it was mainly from Scriv being SO flexible and ingeniously kitted out that I couldn’t believe it doesn’t do this particular trick.

I think the best thing for me to do is attempt a new approach to using Scriv in the first place – namely via Scrivenings rather than as a hierarchical Binder of chapters or subsections.

This will probably recondition my thinking more toward the high granularity Scriv likes, and away from many decades of the word-processor semi-monolithic mindset. The hierarchy will still be there, but I won’t be oriented toward the Binder as the main mechanism of entry.

I’m reminded, in this context, of Lotus Manuscript, a brilliant pre-graphics document builder (pre-IBM buying Lotus) based on “blocks”. A block of one line, followed by blocks of one para each, served as a chapter title with following text. The hierarchy was used mainly to control formatting and content, but one seldom thought about the hierarchy except when defining formats for each level. So … my new approach will be to revive my old Manuscript muscle memory (mainly mental muscle memory and rebuild some projects from that structural POV. One “block” == one doc.)

Meanwhile, one quick (final) stab at defining the functionality I still hope may turn up one day – an emulation (if you will) of the Comment facility in Adobe Acrobat (or Reader). One hilites some text, and a blank comment (no title needed) appears in the right pane. Later, with the read cursor anywhere in the file, one clicks any hilite and the Comment pane scrolls to the appropriate Comment. Or, one pokes around among the comments, clicks on one, and the read cursor jumps to that hilite to center window.

Finally, I must add that Version Three for Windows is such a stupendous improvement over Two that I’m still dazed and amazed at the astronomical amount of work it represents, in engineering, debugging, architecting, documentation, and (no doubt) intestinal fortitude. Congratulations to all involved, with gallons of Kudos all around.

In my experience, the “semi-monolithic mindset” is a major obstacle to getting the most out of Scrivener. Scrivener was explicitly designed not to work that way, and attempts to replicate that approach in Scrivener tend to lead to significant frustration.

The “comment” functionality that you describe already exists, fwiw. It’s called, surprisingly enough, “Comments.”

Thanks, kewms. Then before I embark on my new plan to use a Scrivenings orientation, it sounds like you’re saying that I needn’t – I can highlight a short phrase inside a block of text, and (with a right-click or something equally trivial) trigger a Comment containing that phrase to appear in the Comments pane. And when I am somewhere else in the same text block I can click on that comment and it will scroll the Edit cursor to the highlighted phrase, in the middle of the Edit window. And then, if I click on any other highlighted phrases in the document, the Comment pane will scroll to the associated comment?

I would swear that I and other users have been told that this isn’t possible, and I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t found that functionality in the manual.

Thanks for the clarification!

This discussion is conflating two different capabilities.

The original post in this thread requested the ability to “create a link to a specific word in a text document within a draft,” “which could be a few paragraphs or a few pages away,” with a specific comparison to “anchors” in word processing programs. That function does not exist in Scrivener.

Your own first post in this thread said,

“I want to put “see xxx” in the text of a “document” and when I click on the “xxx” my cursor is repositioned wherever that pointer references within that document.”

Again, this function does not exist.

But your more recent post asked for

" One hilites some text, and a blank comment (no title needed) appears in the right pane. Later, with the read cursor anywhere in the file, one clicks any hilite and the Comment pane scrolls to the appropriate Comment. Or, one pokes around among the comments, clicks on one, and the read cursor jumps to that hilite to center window."

This paragraph describes Scrivener’s “Comment” function more or less exactly. But it is not the same as the original request for the ability to link from one arbitrary text location to another.

My surprise at not finding it was mainly from Scriv being SO flexible and ingeniously kitted out that I couldn’t believe it doesn’t do this particular trick.

It really has less to do with strategy and more to do with technical limitations, although I do hope that some day there will be some opportunity to circumvent that.

That said I am and always will be a staunch proponent of text-based solutions to problems of this nature (as I am with general formatting as well). Text-based links never degrade. They don’t get broken when you copy and paste into a different program. They won’t be lost when the software you used to create them goes out of business. They will work as well today as they will in 150 years, when your estate is publishing your working manuscripts to quantum ebooks or whatever (although with the way the climate is going, stone tablets may be more likely :expressionless: ).

This will probably recondition my thinking more toward the high granularity Scriv likes, and away from many decades of the word-processor semi-monolithic mindset. The hierarchy will still be there, but I won’t be oriented toward the Binder as the main mechanism of entry.

I’m not familiar with Lotus Manuscript, though it sounds very interesting and worth reading up on (as many of those older Lotus programs were, in their own ways, groundbreaking).

The hierarchy was used mainly to control formatting and content, but one seldom thought about the hierarchy except when defining formats for each level.

That is a good description of how Scrivener is intended to be used, in fact! With its Section Types feature you can map hierarchy to formatting, where structure can become expressive in that same sense as Manuscripts did.

This is not uncommon in outliner based software, where I find Scrivener more interesting is in how it can subvert that otherwise rigid approach. Most outliners have strict formatting rules based upon hierarchy and no hidden text, but in Scrivener we can break those rules in multiple ways. We can even have hierarchy that intentionally has no expression, that looks to the reader like a single page of text, or as notes, doesn’t print at all. It allows us to think about the text in a fashion that may go deeper than how we intend to present that text.

I’d suggest downloading a copy of the user manual project to see an example of how structured a large document can be in the binder. You will encounter sections that work much like how you describe blocks, I believe, such as the menus appendix, where each menu command in the software is its own binder item. These have roles similar to how you describe Manuscripts, where a block has a meaning, a way in which something is formatted ultimately.

And yes, as you have concluded, Scrivenings mode is essential to text that is so highly structured as that. I leave the Binder largely collapsed, only opening things up to the chapter level—a +3k item outline would never be practical in so compact a space. One way in which I work with a chapter’s content is to click on it in the binder, where it loads into an Outliner view on the left, fully expanded (with sometimes upwards of several dozen outline elements), and simultaneously a Scrivenings view on the right (you can achieve this with the Navigate ▸ Binder Select Affects ▸ Both Editors setting). I furthermore link the left outliner to the right view, using the paired navigation setting below that one, so that I can narrow down the text to the section I’m interested in, causing it to act a bit like a second binder. This is useful in those longer chapters, like the one on the compile format designer.

Now what you won’t see much of in that project are point to point links. I do use them, even though most of the cross-reference style links take me right to where I need to be without scrolling. I do use point linking for editing notes, which all get stripped out of the public copy. If I need to highlight a specific sentence, or even word, for a particular bug or feature report, then I’ll use inline annotations and markers for that. One bug has one unique marker, which then may appear in a dozen different places. Searching for that marker reveals all of the places that need revision when the bug is eventually fixed.

Perhaps some programs have ways of working with hyperlinks in a similar fashion, but it is very unusual to see much more beyond rudimentary click and scroll behaviour.

Meanwhile, one quick (final) stab at defining the functionality I still hope may turn up one day – an emulation (if you will) of the Comment facility in Adobe Acrobat (or Reader). One hilites some text, and a blank comment (no title needed) appears in the right pane. Later, with the read cursor anywhere in the file, one clicks any hilite and the Comment pane scrolls to the appropriate Comment. Or, one pokes around among the comments, clicks on one, and the read cursor jumps to that hilite to center window.

Well that you can already do just fine! In fact that was one of the alternate techniques I described in the other post. I prefer inline annotations because I like using the Quick Search field in the toolbar to jump straight to the marker, and that works better if the marker is in the text. But you can also put the marker into a Comment in the sidebar, where they work just like you’re talking about, you just need to use the mouse more. It’s also worth noting that the Comments tab in the inspector will collate across the entire Scrivenings session.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, but as for getting back to where you linked from, that is of course what the Back button is for, or the Ctrl+[ / ⌘[ keyboard shortcut. That will take you right back to the cursor position you left off with, which if you’re using this marker-based technique, will mean with the marker selected.

Lastly, thank you very much for the kind words! There is still a lot of work to be done on with Scrivener, but it sure is nice to finally get the fuller vision for what this software was meant to be out into public use.

1 Like

Thanks AmberV and kewms. I do appreciate all your thoughtful input. I’ll take a closer look at the techniques used in the user manual project. And I look forward to seeing how well the high-granularity Scrivenings approach serves my needs. (I’ll begin with a Lotus Manuscript operational mode – a blast from the distant past.)

Cheers.