Internal links in scrivener 3

Just upgraded to scrivener 3 having used scrivener 2 happily for years.
How do i now create internal links between documents, visible in the inspector? In scrivener 2 i could quickly and simply create a ‘mutual’ internal link between documents. I don’t seem to be able to do this in S.3. I need the links purely for my own editing/reference purposes.
if i try ‘link to document,’ all options are greyed out. Short cuts I’ve tried put a link in the document in the editor.
am i being obtuse - or has the old style link between internal documents gone?
as you may gather, i’m struggling with some aspects of the update which seem more complicated than i need.

Hi, @smith, it sounds like what you’re looking for are document bookmarks, the second icon from the left in the inspector:
DocumentBookmarks

You can drag items into the list at the top or add them via the gear popup menu. (If you’re on Big Sur, that icon is instead the new circled-ellipsis button, but same place as in the screenshot.) By default, when you add another item from the project to the document bookmarks, it will create a backlink to the first item. You can change that in the Behaviors tab of Scrivener ▸ Preferences... under Document Links.

An extra nice feature now is that unlike in Scrivener 2, when you select the linked document in the list at the top, you can see and edit the text in the area below, so you can reference the document side by side the one you’re working on in the editor.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users, as Scrivener 3 has some very significant changes. You can find it here:

Document links are greyed out unless the Editor is active.