Internal references to page numbers

Hi all,

I’ve been reading several places on the forum but I haven’t found an answer to this question.

I am writing a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, which I want to eventually print as a word document (that is, have a physical copy). At the end of each scene, I currently have choices such as “You fight the dragon” or “You run in terror.” Each choice is its own scene (index card).

With Scrivener links, I can point each choice towards the correct scene/card. But that functionality won’t translate to a printed document.

I’d like to be able to write, “If you fight the dragon, go to page <$n:fight>.” In this example, “fight” would be the title of the scene, and $n would be the page number, which Scrivener would be able to insert when the file is compiled.

My alternative right now is to have a table of contents (in Word) which dynamically updates the page number of each scene title as I write (using headers), but which requires me to manually insert “go to page x” within each scene.

I have no idea if this is possible. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Edit: Maybe <$p> is involved somehow…

Okay, I think I’ve solved my problem. For those who may come after me:

1. Write, “If you fight the dragon, go to page <$p>.”
  2. Highlight <$p> and add a Scrivener link to it which points to the scene “Fight.”
  3. When compiling, make sure you have ticked the option for page breaks between scenes.
  4. Profit!

Subscribed! 8)