Intro/Delurk - Crime Fiction Writer

Hey everybody,

My name is Sean, and I’m new here. Have been playing with Scrivener for months, and love it. Totally love it. Thank you, KB, for creating such a great writing environment.

Having said that, I’m a tad nervous. I wrote my first two novels using MSWord. I don’t love the program, but it works, and my publisher never had a problem with any electronic files. Scrivener seems to export to Word flawlessly, but ya know, I’m looking at a commitment here.

I know, I’m being silly. Lotsa people have gone before me, and it works fine.

Anyway, I write crime fiction. My first two novels were published by William Morrow/HarperCollins, and I’ve had short stories in a few anthologies. I’m now at work on my third novel.

And very glad to have found Scrivener.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words about Scrivener, and welcome to the forum.

I absolutely understand you being nervous - trusting work to a new program when you rely on it for your living is a big thing. The best thing to do to put your mind at rest is probably to use the File > Backup To feature regularly, choosing to compress the project as a .zip file. This way you always have peace of mind that you have a zipped version of your project backed up on disk that you can revert to at any time. And because a .scriv file is nothing more than a folder containing lots of RTFD files, that backup is as safe as can be.

And yes, Word export should work fine - especially for novels and writing that does not require complicated formatting such as footnotes and so forth. I would recommend testing out the Compile Draft feature a few times to get the hang of getting the output formatting right.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith. Been playing around with it some more, and it seems bulletproof. Thanks again for creating such a great program.

Best,