Invisible scenes?

This is tricky to describe, but here goes. When revising a long manuscript there are events of the story that the POV (the narrator) may not know about or be part of the “written” story…but they are cause and effect (chronological realities) of the story. When revising it is very useful to layout the full span of the story even as it pre-dates and post-dates the written manuscript.

It would be cool to be able to add “invisible scenes” that were greyed out in the binder and did not print in the manuscript, but were placeholders for events that did happen. That way when using index cards or the outliner they are there to play with and assign meta-data to—but outside the domain of the manuscript and POV.

Cousin to this idea is the idea of being able to have a numeric sequence to assign as Meta-Data. That way you could see the outline in all three possible (there may be more) chronologies: 1) The order that the scenes of the story actually happened to the hero or as the POV experienced them, 2) The order in which the narrator chooses to tell the story (using flashbacks and digressions this order may vary from the real time order. 3) The whole timeline of this story that may include events that are outside the story, but may include things the narrator never knew or saw, the events that set in motion the state of things as the story begins, and the results of the story or events that happen afterwards that the reader may never know but the writer wishes to document.

I hope that made sense.

You could add the “invisible” scenes right in line in the binder and then de-select “Include in compile” for those scenes in the Inspector.

For the second item, you could make chronology keywords, or change the “Labels” name to “Timeline” or something similar, or do the same for the Status indicators.

Those are good ideas, but the labels will not give the ability to sort in an order. It would be great to be able to see index cards and outline in different saved orders that do not effect the order of the written manuscript–they are just sort features for looking at outlines.

You could create a new custom meta-data field for the chronologies and then sort by that in the outliner. Be sure to use leading zeros so the documents sort as expected.

Alternatively, and what I would do, you could create a collection for each of the chronologies. That would let you rearrange the documents in any order you like and work with the in the outliner, corkboard, or Scrivenings; you could even compile them in that order if you wanted.

For the extra “behind the scenes” placeholder documents, I usually put them in the binder where they’d go chronologically among the other scenes and then use a special icon or symbol in the title text to distinguish them from the “real” scenes (as well as deselecting “include in compile”). Depending where and how you want to view these, you could always keep them outside of the Draft and just drop them into the various collections you make for the chronologies.

Yeah, I think you nailed it. Collections is a feature I haven’t used too much, but that is clearly the ticket. I like your custom icon idea as well. Thanks all.