iOS folder notes

I have a bunch of folders that have subfolders on my synched project. When I look at a folder, I can look at it as a corkboard & see the subfolders, or I can pick what looks like a text icon & see content for the folder. I don’t know what this area should be called, so for now I’ll call it folder notes.

I thought the folder notes would come over to the (mac) desktop app as the synopsis for that folder. It seems like sometimes it does & sometimes it doesn’t. I just tried today putting content into the synopsis for a folder on the desktop & looked for it in the folder notes, but it wasn’t there. However, content that I had put into the folder notes on the iPad did arrive in the synopsis on the desktop side.

So my question is: Where do the folder notes appear on the desktop app?

Thanks, Beth

Technically speaking, this isn’t a special feature for folders, what’s really going on is that your folder is a text file, and when you tap that button on iOS you’re choosing to view it as such, instead of as a folder (corkboard or list). This is how you can freely toggle whether an item is a folder or a file—they are both the same thing, save for some behavioural defaults and their appearance. There is a “notes” area for folders, just like there is for files, but you’ll find that in the Inspector on both platforms. The idea for that is that each item can have its own little scratchpad. The text content area is generally more for stuff you want to print eventually. You could introduce a chapter using its folder text area, for instance, instead of having a separate “Introduction” text file.

So going by that, the question becomes: how do you load text for a file in Scrivener on the Mac? You click on it. Start with that on the folder, and by default you get the a corkboard in the main editor, then just like with iOS if you turn off the corkboard you’ll view the text for the folder. Unlike iOS, you can actually view a corkboard for a file if you wish—because again these are all the same thing. You toggle corkboard (or any group view mode) by clicking on the appropriate group mode icon in the toolbar, using entries at the top of the View menu or their keyboard shortcuts. Cmd–2 toggles the corkboard view between that and text, for example. Cmd–1 toggles between Scrivenings view and single text.

For more detail, I’d recommend going through Steps 6 thru 7 in the interactive tutorial in the Help menu (which will lead you through this very activity of viewing a folder’s text content—you could say step 6.5 is in the folder text itself).

Great, that works. I appreciate the help. I was confused, I had missed the part about toggling the text view with the corkboard on the desktop.

Beth