iPad 2018 or iPad Pro 10.5" ?

And now with the 2018 iPad down to $230 on sale, and a much recommended Logitech or other bluetooth keyboard for under $30, and a good cheap case and/or stand you can have an excellent Scrivening set up for under $300. That’s pretty amazing!

I took a look at the new iPad Pros at my local big box store last week, and while they’re gorgeous, for the kind of writing I do in Scrivener or other apps, they’re not worth four or five times the price. I’m sure they are worth it for others, particularly those for whom the iPad is their only computer and those who do more than read, write, browse and email with it. But at those prices, I wasn’t tempted to upgrade my 9.7” 2016 iPad Pro, which except for the display is pretty equivalent to the 2018 regular iPad.

I often prefer to write, even in Scrivener, on it and my old Apple Wireless Keyboard, rather than my Macbook and Cinema Display. iOS has almost evolved to the point where I could imagine doing all my Scrivening on this little iPad, but for a few annoyances like the inability to import multiple files simultaneously into a Scrivener project on iPad. I’m considering bringing only my iPad, keyboard, and origami case/stand with me on holiday, even though I’ll be writing and posting several stories.

In fact, if I were advising anyone on a budget, like a college student, on what computer to buy for the above tasks (which is what most people use computers for, I imagine), I’d probably just say get a new regular iPad, keyboard and case and call it good. I know Apple’s getting a lot of grief for its recent price inflation, but really, for what most people need from a computer, and even for much Scrivening, the regular iPad seems like a very good deal. I’d be curious to know if anyone here is using it for all or most of their Scrivening, and how they like it, in particular how the screen treats the eyes in long-term use. William (OP), what did you end up getting?

I’m using iPad 2018, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Targus VersaVu case. Those are the perfect combination for me. I don’t need iPad Pro for the same reasons as yours. I use my iPad only for writing. The screen is perfect for my eyes, no issues so far after several months of writing.