IPad Apps Cull

I started thinking along these lines when I was a week or so into the iOS beta testing, and over the past few weeks it’s become a fixture: whereas I used to use nVAlt as a plain text DB repository and then have a number of different iOS apps access it from various points (1Writer, Editorial etc) I now find myself simply using a central Scrivener project - with all of the advantages of the better structuring possibilities - as my main note-taking centre (accessed from my iP pro at home, mini in bed, MBA at my desk and iPhone elsewhere).

I still use Editorial for its occasionally essential markdown, folding and Taskpaper capabilities, but for notes and long-form Scrivener is now sweeping the board (not wanting to start a firefight, but I’ve not opened Ulysses for a couple of weeks either).

Not really what I had expected to begin with - and I’m delighted. It’s simply an extraordinary achievement.

Interesting. I’ve had a similar setup, and since Scrivener for iOS came out, I’ve been thinking about how much I came up with ways to work around not having it in the past. The trouble is, the solutions I’ve worked out depend on 1) markdown previews, 2) tagging, and 3) scripting and/or URL schemes… None of which are in Scrivener on iOS or Mac. Scrivener is of course great for long-form writing and other tasks that require big-picture organization, but I’m not sure about it as repository for reference material.

Would be interested to hear more about how you’re replacing nvAlt.

Hope I’m not diverting the topic too far from the OP’s intentions, but I think this points up a larger issue: iOScrivener can actually help solve one of iOS 's main limitations: the lack of a file system. I too used to use the Finder/Dropbox as a central repository for all my documents, whether text, rtf, doc, PDF. I did it for the same reason as you; I needed to used different apps to work with the same set of files. So I resisted the idea of using Scrivener as essentially a Finder substitute.

But even using Dropbox as a de facto file manager, it becomes difficult to open several files of different types in a single swoop. I can’t open rtf files with Pages, for example, and often trying to open a file directly from the Dropbox app produces the dreaded “No Preview Available” message. That means a lot of swapping out apps in Split View. I tried to start saving as much as possible as txt files (a la NValt) but sometimes I needed images, embedded links etc.

Now that Scrivener has arrived, though I can store all my documents in it and see them side by side using quick reference. I’m still pulling the files from Dropbox to different Scrivener projects as needed, but thinking of maybe using a Scrivener project as a database for all my documents, and just copy the ones I need to the next project.

This also has the culling advantage you mentioned. I like writing in Scrivener more than just about everything else , so instead of using Pages, iaWriter, Goodreader et al, I just use Scrivener for almost all my writing, even short blog posts that I’d normally have used a simpler app like iAWriter for.

I have long maintained a text-based note file that contains a wide variety of useful information. I have everything from personal information to technical how-to notes to lists of software on my Mac that I only occasionally use and what they are good for. I often include weblinks and like to have images as well.

For years I used nvALT, but I wanted my information available on iOS and to have it easily searchable there. I found no really good alternative and used a lot of them over the years, include Editorial, iAWriter, Taskmator, and so on. Never stuck with anything for very long and was never satisfied.

When I started using the beta of iOS Scrivener, I realized that the project wide search function combined with the ability to do links, images, and pdf’s in the research folder made it ideal for my purpose. My Scrivener projects act as top level categories for my writings, and within the projects subfolders in the draft folder further categorize items.

I use Scrivener for almost all my writing of any kind now, not just my fiction and blog writing. It is perfect on all my devices, Mac, iPhone, iPad. If I ever go back to a Windows machine, I’ll have it there as well. Guess I can’t switch to a ChromeBook, though.

This morning, for example, the clean light was flashing on my coffee maker. I can never remember how much vinegar to use for the clean cycle. I pulled my iPhone from my pocket, opened Scrivener, opened the Notes project and searched for “coffee”. Four cups—I knew that! It’s the little things.

Excellent. Hopefully by 2025 scrivener will be embedded in a robot that can actually clean the coffee maker, too. :smiley: