iPad apps that preserve RTF in sync

I’ve been using PlainText for the iPad to sync with Scrivener. This works fine for non-fiction where I’m not in the formatting stage for most of the project, but less well for organizing presentations and workshop materials where preserving bold titles or section headings is important. Any apps people have had success syncing with Scrivener this way?

For the time being we’re stuck with Pages, which supports styles and export, but only to e-mail, iWork.com, iTunes, iDisk, or a WebDAV server. And even then, we have to convert the file from Pages to RTF for importing into Scrivener. It’s a slow and clumsy process. If one of the note-takers like PlainText or SimpleNote would support RTF, we’d be in business.

Someone on the forum, can’t find the post, had mentioned using Notebooks for iPad to sync to Scrivener via Dropbox. I don’t want to blow nine bucks if it is not reliable, but I did just realize that I have DocsToGo already on my iPad, and it’s supposed to open and save RTF without any conversion. I will give that a go experimentally and see what happens.
Edit- never mind that… DTG only views RTF, doesn’t edit it. :blush:

Coming at it sideways, and I know it might not fit with your workflows, but you could try MMD, the * and ** for italic and and bold survive the to and fro to Plaintext, then compile nicely - in my case to Latex, but MMD will go to RTF.

The fact is that iOS does not properly support RTF. Apple make no rich text editor or loading and saving methods available to developers in the AppKit. Apple provide rich text editing in Pages using private APIs that are denied to third-party developers. A couple of major mobile software companies - Docs2Go and Office HD - seem to have managed a degree of rich text support, but I doubt you’ll be seeing rich text or RTF support in many iPad apps until Apple provide official rich text support in their APIs, which I doubt we’ll see for a little while, unfortunately.

I have been using Notebooks for iPad, and it is the closest thing to Scrivener in iOS. It doesn’t support RTF, nor any formatting, but it synchronizes wonderfully with Scrivener. In fact, Keith has made a remarkable work at implementing the synchronization as it keeps, in Scrivener, most of the original formatting (thank you, Keith).

Because Notebooks allows you to create nested folders, and import other formats as well (from PDF to JPEG images), you could potentially carry all your research along with your writing project in your iPad.

It’s not cheap for iPad standards, but I think that the price is just right.

I’m finding Notebooks to be not that easy to learn, as presented via its iPad app.
I wish it had a desktop or browser equivalent, like SimpleNote or EverNote.
EverNote is far easier because a desktop app is available and well designed.
Its RTF files are easy to write; but the only RTF “export” is via e-mail.
Still, it works, and I can drag-drop those files into Scrivener.

I spent a little more time with Notebooks tonight.
Doing better, but I still wish it had a desktop or browser complement.

Another iPad app that preserves RTF in synch is SpringPad.
You write notes with a Blogger-like toolbar that creates
Bold, Italic, Underline,
Left, Center, Right alignment
Numbered or Bullet lists
Link or Unlink URLs and
Insert Image

Notes auto-synch to Springpad’s servers
Or you may send via email.

A touch off the subject, but if you are syncing a new project through Drobox to work on outside of Scrivener, make sure you don’t have any files from previous syncing in the folder you use. It makes a bit of a mess with the auto-numbering when coming back into Scrivener.

Caution syncing Scrivener with Notebooks for iPad.

Notebooks has a command for “Format Document” which works great if you are writing in MMD. Unfortunately, formatting a note breaks the sync with Scrivener because it converts the file from .txt to .html.

Regards.

m