iPhone = 1 Leopard = 0

“Apple announced that the release of MacOS X 10.5 Leopard will be delayed until October due to the development of iPhone.”

That’s it folks… Apple Inc. v. Apple Computers Inc.

– MJ

Via: Infine Loop

Hmm. Well, they released another developer seed of Leopard today. I’m under NDA, so I can say very little, but I will say this: that sounds like a convenient excuse to me. Leopard is going to be great, but there is a lot of work to do. So, from my point of view, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the idea of having to download a 5 Gb developer seed every month for the next six months hoping each time that it doesn’t give me more work to get Scrivener working on it hardly fills me with joy. But on the other hand, having seen its current state, I was a little worried that they would try to rush it to release. The end result will be much better, so really, I’m glad they are taking their time to get it right.
Best,
Keith

Besides, if iPhone was delayed Apple would be killed by the press. On Leopard the situation is not as critical.

– MJ

I have to say that although I’m not entirely convinced by Apple’s statement that they had to pull key OS X developers to work on the iPhone, neither does it exactly instil me, as a developer for their platform, with confidence in their commitment to that platform. Had they just announced that OS X will be delayed because they want to make sure it is perfect, that would be fine. But I don’t much appreciate the way they seem to be quite happy to infer that a phone is much more important to them than their primary operating system. That kind of worries me. Should I be looking to develop for Windows after all? Does this intimate that Apple will eventually give up on operating systems and become a purveyor of cool gadgets such as iPods, iPhones, iVibe (marital aid with very sophisticated software) and so on and so forth?

I’m sure the OS is still highly important to them, but they’ve got a lot riding on this new product, they’re nervous about it, and they want it to succeed.

Since we’ve been getting regular updates to Tiger, it’s running smoothly. So in their eyes, we customers are in good hands at the moment. If they have limited time and limited manpower, they’re just maximizing their resources at a critical juncture.

Just seems like good business practice to me. I don’t think you should read too much more into it.

Well, it’s clear that with the iPhone they can make as much money as they’re making with the iPod. For the iPhone the whole world is waiting; for Leopard, it’s just ‘us’, so … …

But like TCole, I think one should not read too much into this decision, which given the circumstances seems perfectly understandable.

… an interesting dilemma … :confused:

Welcome in Bills World, Steve!

Too right … but what do I tell Mother in Law (I think Civil Partner’s mum has that status - the language is a bit confused about us ‘married’ guys!)? We’ve been putting her off rushing out to buy an iMac to save the £100 upgrade when it comes … she’ll not wait 'till October. Are we going to get free upgrade stickers on new kit? They did say Spring!!!
:unamused:

I think this is one of those situations when it is best to do nothing. I really don’t see Apple just abandoning Cocoa anyway, so as far as I can see, business as usual.

I was just thinking out loud and playing devil’s advocate. I’m not really going to ditch two years of development to buy Vista and “Windows Programming for Dummies”… :slight_smile:

My mistake! Thought you were serious there!

:smiley:

Seeing as how Apple was vilified for shipping the Newton with flaky recognition software Apple now knows they can’t deliver the iPhone with flaky software of it’s dead in the water.

Plus let’s be honest. The OS X team is fairly static from what I read. This group is tightknit and this year is stretching them to the limits. Look at the 2007 OS X platforms.

Macintosh- largest core update to Mac OS X in the history of the app
Apple TV- Another version of OS X that needed a bit more time
iPhone- The most ambitious deployment yet. The power of OS X has to fit on a 3.5" screen and run on battery power.

I bet there is a sense of relief from OS X engineers now that they have more time to prepare Leopard to their high standards. Morale is probably higher than it’s been in months.

I can wait for you fellas. Nail the iPhone and Leopard will be your hat trick.

It was when I saw Vista for the first time that I decided to switch to the Mac. Where I found the most perfect writing tool ever, Scrivener. So, please don’t go the other direction…! :open_mouth:

Hey peterdcox,

Consider the Family pack for the upgrade. 5 machines max. And the Mom-in-law lives with you for the sake of the licence. Doesn’t she? :unamused:

I’ll be up to 3 machines personnally. 4 if my daughter switches.

Iain