Is it possible to rename a project?

If I change the .scriv folder will that rename the project or just screw everything up?

since the tech people are on holiday, I’ll dare put my two cents in

I simply renamed the folder, then double-clicked on the .scriv file.
The project opened in Scrivener perfectly.
Since all my projects are on another drive in sub sub folders and I don’t have shortcuts on my desktop, my usual process is to open Scrivener. The next time, I simply opened Scrivener. My newly renamed project popped up without any issues.

to be safe. back up your project just in case my method does not work on your system (though I think it will–I didn’t bother to back it up)

Marta
Win XP Service Pack 3

Thanks. Always good to backup - I always seem to forget though.

Yes, this is how you would rename a project; just always make sure it is closed in Scrivener before you do so, otherwise it will get confused and try writing new changes to the wrong (old) place and just make a big mess. As for backups, unless you changed your settings in the Backup tab, you should be relatively safe for this sort of recovery. Backups are created automatically for you whenever the project is closed. What that won’t protect you from is hard drive damage, theft, etc. So it is still good to create an offline set of backups somewhere as often as you can, but for reversing a mistake you just made, there is a good safety net in place.

So, just to triple-check on the possible pitfalls of renaming a project:

The WIP has for three years carried a Certain Name, and now the WIP’s proper name has magically manifested itself and I wish the project to now carry this Different Name.

I simply go to the Finder, rename the (closed) project in the usual Mac-ian way, and then double-click on it and it opens with the new WIP name transferred to the old familiar Project, right?

Does this renaming carry through to the various compile locations (title, footers, etc), which (as I understand it) take their various titles from the Project file name?

Yes, that’s all correct. The variables in the Mac version that go by the project name will use the new name of the .scriv file, unless you’ve specified otherwise in the project meta-data settings (Project > Meta-Data Settings… in the Project Properties tab).

Thanks. Worked slicker than a cup of custard. Even the file name in the Finder sidebar auto-updated.

Ahab,

Too late comes this advice, but…you could just duplicate the project, call one Old WIP, and then launch New WIP. Once Scrivener knows you want to follow that file path, it’s good to go.

Starbuck

Ah well, tis now a fait accompli. And unlike most such faits, utterly painless.

Daggoo Africanus

As long as you don’t mind the extra file on the drive. My only concern with this method is the “habitual clicker” issue; the mind recognizes the familiar in the old name and forgets the new name. Next thing you know you have half a dozen edits in the old file and a few hundred in the new.

Granted this assumes that you are like me and may have multiple scriv projects in active progress at any one time (4 courses plus work plus personal) and refuse to simply let scriv open them all up for you on startup. I like to pick which file I open via the finder.

Just putting in my 2¢

Ackjass

[size=60]Seemed a more fitting moniker for me since I am being contrarian.[/size]

Also, you can dig into the automatic backups (or manual ones if that’s your cup of tea), and rename it so that you know THIS one is the one prior to the rename, and to prevent it from being deleted when it become the oldest of your backups.

But a backup would not “vanish” from most systems unless you actually deleted it. And if we are looking for data retention, then wouldn’t “backup to” be the better option for maintaing a historical record?

Such a lot of effort for such a simple problem.
ME: don’t like old working title. want change to new. want change file name, but not blow up much work.

MM: Just change the file name.

ME: change file name. work like magic.

The end.

EVERYBODY ELSE: But if you do this, then this, then this, then stuff dorothy lamour down a volcano, something unwanted will/won’t/may/could happen.

ME: don’t care. work like magic. nice new file name. backups still nice safe place. tomorrow, when write new scenes and edit old scenes then close, backups will update, then me go hunt rabbits. good for me, bad for rabbits.

Me: Quiet, you! We’re helping.
You: Um not really…
Me: QUIET!
You: Now hold on!
Me: Zip it!
You: I don’t have t…
Me: Zip!
You: ?
Me: prepares other witty retorts

Ah yes, I didn’t think that one through. The old backups won’t go anywhere because the name of the project is different, so the old backups won’t be displaced. But “backup to” only works before the renaming of a project, if what you’re trying to do is get back to it after you’ve messed with metadata, front matter, etc., so keeping the old version of the project handy might still require digging out the last backup made before the name change.

Me: slowly backs toward door
Ahab: looks at harpoon on wall
Me: softly closes door and runs

Nobody run from Ahab. Just ask rabbits.

So your saying that if I use a liberal sprinkling of rabbits, I might be able to get away?

[size=60]
This reminds me of the two guys in the woods with a bear joke and the travesty of cinema that I endured the other day. Those that don’t know the joke, you aren’t missing anything, but the punchline is

So this “movie”, which was set in Britannia around the time that Hadrian’s wall was being built had so much potential to be a wonderful story. If only the director hadn’t spent so much time with the “epic scenes” of what must have been New Zealand mountains with men running through snow. Then through a plain. Then through snow. Then through a bog. Then more snow. Then a river. Then …

It got so bad that the kid actually started to rant about the impossibility of there being that type of geology anywhere on the island. Don’t even get him started on the actual improper armament of the various groups portrayed (Romans and Picts). I thought his head was going to explode at one point and his mother actually made us pause the movie for 30 minutes because she got tired of the running criticism (and she made him do the dishes!).

Anyway, at one improbable moment 2 rather ruthless and self absorbed characters are running from a pack of wolves. Through snow, then a bog, then snow and back to a bog, when one of them falls. The other guy comes to help him up and the fallen one slices the hamstring of the un-fallen to escape the wolves.

See what happens when the brain starts working? At least I had the decency to make it small print to give you more than just the “pointless ramble” cause for cursing my existence.
[/size]

I expect it depends on how and where you sprinkle the rabbits–though, as long as we’re striving for accuracy, I suppose I should call them hares. I live north of the rabbit line, but arctic hares are all about, and a welcome and healthy addition to the menu in these loathsome-industrial-abbatoir times.

Back in the real Ahab’s day, you would have been known as Long Pig in certain parts of the western Pacific. And a real treat, properly prepared.

I know the bear joke (told by every guide from Kodiak to Nunavik), and can almost remember the movie. It reminds me of when I set out to read Lonesome Dove, and almost couldn’t get past the first page, where Gus builds a fire for biscuits inside his Dutch oven. At least McMurtry’s six-shooters only shot six times before reloading.