Is it possible to set the highlight color?

Scrivener’s highlighting color appears to be locked down as a pale blue, and it’s kind of annoying because we’re allowed to customize the GUI colors but many do not work well with a pale blue highlighting color. To make it worse, when something is highlighted, the label color gets changed too, so we can no longer tell what the label color is/was.

If we could customize the highlighting color too, it would be much better.

EDIT: To clarify, I’m asking about in the Binder and Outliner modes, whenever you select anything in those modes, Scrivener uses an automatic pale blue as the background and white font as the text for the selected item, and you can’t customize that it seems.

While we’re at it, we really should be allowed to change the font color in those modes, instead of being locked to automatically white or black depending on the colors we picked for the labels.

You can do this.

Tools > Options > Appearance Tab

Under editor or fullscreen choose the text selection options and modify to your heart’s content.

If you have the Formatting Toolbar displayed there should be an arrow you can select next to the highlight pen to change the color.

Spitfire I think she means the selection text highlight colour not the highlighter pens, although I could be wrong. It is confusing. Marker pens would be a better term I think.

Actually, none of that is what I’m asking. I’m asking about in the Binder and Outliner modes, whenever you select anything in those modes, Scrivener uses an automatic pale blue as the background and white font as the text for the selected item, and you can’t customize that it seems.

While we’re at it, we really should be allowed to change the font color in those modes, instead of being locked to automatically white or black depending on the colors we picked for the labels.

Scrivener uses your Windows settings for the selections, so you’d need to change your Windows theme for this; it’s not something that can be adjusted in Scrivener’s settings.

Ahhh, gotcha. Is it difficult to make it program-specific–IF Keith were to try?

I suggest Keith take a look into this issue, because it’s very limiting to give the user the ability to only change certain elements of the GUI but not others, because then we’re limited to be able to to only choose colors that work with the non-changeable elements, and it sort of negates the point of having customizable GUI in the first place.

This is a nit concerning this discussion, in general. but wouldn’t Lee be taking a look at it? Keith might want to kibitz or recommend ideas, but it’s Lee’s work on Windows, yes? Or are we already at the stage of trying to ensure that the UIs look and perform identically? Will we ever be at that point?

I have no idea how the Mac version behaves, so I have no idea if this is a problem in the Mac version too, or whose responsibility it is to implement this at the “root” level of the program’s design.

The Mac version also uses the system settings for this. jravan is correct, though, it is Lee who would be coding it, whereas I’m more of an overseer on the Windows version (but code the Mac version). Anyway, I think it makes more sense to leave this as an OS setting, as that is the standard.

I found this thread because I had the same desire. The problem is that I have chosen to “Use State Color In/Binder”. I have selected very strong colors for my states. As a result, the pale blue used by default is extremely hard to see on top of the default background.

Even if you can’t change the color of the highlight, a simple solution is to increase the contrast by changing the color of the background. In the extreme, you can chance the background to a dark color and the highlight really pops out.

You might suggest it, but there are two issues with this approach:

• The expand/collapse triangles are dark and do not compensate on the light background. Are these icons also provided by the OS?
  • Most of the text is automatically recolored (black/white) to contrast well with the State Color. However, the highlighted text is not recolored based on the highlight… but rather based on the background color. This causes the text to contrast poorly, but is a less serious issue.