Is it Possible to "Tag" Documents in Scrivener ?

Hello and thanks in advance,

I am wondering if Scrivener gives me some way to “tag” my documents, so that I can view (perhaps in the binder) only the documents with that tag.

Here’s what I mean:

Let’s say that my Draft folder has 50 documents, and 10 are pertinent to the part of my book I’ll call chapter 2.

Then I have three other folders, and each one of these folders contains 4 documents that are pertinent to chapter 2. So what I would like to do is to “tag” these documents – 10 + 4 + 4 + 4 == a total of 22 documents in all.

After tagging, these documents could be accessed easily when I click the name of that tag. Obviously, I am thinking in terms of the “Delicious” bookmarks system. Or the “labels” in Gmail.

I know that I could put a Scrivener label on each of these documents, but then I have two questions:

1. Can I put more than one label onto each document ? (like Delicious tags) and
  2. After label-ing the documents, can I sort and access them – separate them from all the other documents?

I have a feeling that Scrivener can do many things that are not yet dreamt of in my philosophy.

Thanks again … RB

Hi,

Could keywords be what you are looking for? Each document can have any arbitrary keywords assigned to it. You can see the keywords by opening the inspector and switching to the keywords pane by clicking on the key icon at the bottom. You can then enter keywords directory there, or you can open the keywords HUD (via the Window menu) and group different keywords in there. You can drag keywords from the keywords HUD directly into the keywords panel in the inspector, or onto documents in the binder (all selected documents will get assigned the keywords dragged). You can then run a keywords search via the keywords HUD or search field in the toolbar to show only documents with specific keywords assigned in the search table (which replaces the binder during a search).

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

Keywords !

Yes, that is precisely the “tagging” feature I wanted.

I’ve been so busy * using * Scrivener, that I haven’t taken just a bit of time to learn how to use it expertly – with all it’s splendid features. *

Thank you, Keith.