IS it possiblege to record audio within Scrivener

Currently, I grab YouTube audio and record it within Evernote. I then save the .wav file and import it into Scrivener. It works, but I’d like a more genteel way to do it.

Any suggestions, my friends?

Thanks, Terence

If Scrivener supports it (I don’t see why not) you can use the built-in dictation feature of Mac OS. Even if it doesn’t work very well in Scrivener, you could use it in TextEdit then just paste the content into Scrivener.

Thanks, ScrivTid, but I want AUDIO only, not text. I have decided to go with Evernote audio input and just import it.

From p122 of the manual:

As well as these text file types, Scrivener also supports all of the main image file types (TIF, JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP etc), all of the main QuickTime audio/visual formats (MOV, MPG, WAV, MP3 etc), PDF files, HTML, and .webarchive file types for importing saved web pages from Safari and other macOS applications that support it.

From p313:

[i]To create a new audio file, you can at any time use the Project> New Media File> New Note… menu command. A small recording window will appear. This can be set aside and used as needed while you continue to work in the project or reference material from it.

When the window loads, you will see a read-out in the middle stating whether or not the audio device in your computer is ready to record. If it says “Ready”, click the large round button. While recording, the status read-out will display “Recording. . . ”, and the round button will change to depict a pause icon. Clicking this button will temporarily pause recording so you can gather your thoughts or look up material for the next bit of dictation While paused, the status read-out will print how many minutes and seconds long the recording currently is.
At any time you can click the Save button to finish recording and save the file to the disk. Once you have saved the file, it cannot be appended to or edited in Scrivener, but you can open the file in an external editor to clean up the pauses and append to it if necessary. If when you click the Save button, the binder selection is located anywhere outside of the Draft folder, the media file will be created in that location, according to the normal rules. If a normal file is selected it will be created below the selection; if a container is selected it will be placed within that container as the last child.
The Cancel button will delete any recorded material and not save anything to the disk.[/i]

Ah, ScriverTid, that’s EXACTLY what I need.

Thanks so much.

You’re welcome.

If you want to save time by grabbing/ripping the audio rather than waiting for it to record, try Peggo.

peggo.tv/about

An hour of audio can be yours in a matter of minutes.

Why not other alternatives like VideoSolo Screen Recorder. It is recommended by lots of people around me. It is the smart audio recorder which empowers you to record all types of audios on your computer, including system sound, microphone voice, streaming music, online radio, music games and more.

Has this subsequently been removed from the software? I cannot find that reference nor menu heading.

… and removed from the manual? In the manual for v. 3 the quoted text does not appear on the pages mentioned (p122 and p313) or anywhere else that I can see.

That’s what I meant when I said “cannot find that reference”.

I’m sure I’ve used it before, but from memory only in Scrivener 2, but I don’t have a copy of Scrivener 2 or it’s manual to refer to at the moment.

To record YouTube audio as WAV format, I usually use a smart audio recorder program for Mac to record the YouTube audios playing on my Mac and then import them into Scrivener. If you’d like to record YouTube music to MP3, WAV, AAC, FLAC, and other popular formats, don’t miss this tool: best YouTube audio recorder for Mac.

I’ve been using Audio Hijack https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ for years for these purposes. It’s much more expensive than Audio Capture, but very powerful.

I used Audio Hijack for 14 years. Then they changed the interface, scuttled the one I’d paid them for, and wanted another 30 bucks. And the new interface is ridiculously clumsy by comparison.

Nope. No sale.

If you don’t need timed recordings (starting and stopping recordings by a clock in your absence), Piezo, from the same company works the same way only is orders of magnitude simpler. It’s cheaper, and the free demo version works fine for any audio clip under 10 minutes.