Is 'Michael' a girl's name?

If it is, then ignore this post!

If it isn’t, then I think there is something in the word lists used by the name generator that suggests it is. I just generated 20 female names and one of them had the first name ‘Michael’. I have all the include checkboxes unchecked in the options box :slight_smile:

Eddy

According to Wikipedia, there are at least two known instances of females who were named Michael (instead of the more typical Michelle/Michele/etc): actresses Michael Learned and Michael Michele!

Probably a mistake though. Ha.

Here in Israel, Michael [מיכאל] is mostly a guy’s name, and the female version is Michaela [מיכאלה]. Another derived name, Michal [מיכל], is a feminine name in Israel, but you might find “Michal” as a masculine name elsewhere in the world. BUT! Trendy parents in Israel do uncommonly name their daughters Michael (the “masculine” version)! Some masculine-names-turned-feminine are popular around here mainly among the younger generations.

Curious how others will define the name, I searched my favorite baby name sources:
babynamer.com/michael also has ‘Michael’ as a girl (click the pink button for girls).

thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Michael has Michael also as a girl’s name.

behindthename.com/name/michael claims Michael is a masculine name.

The Social Security Administration has Michael as a top popular name among males in 2009: ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ …and when I searched it as a female name ten years back, what I got was “Michael is not in the top 1000 female names for any year of birth in the last 10 years. Please enter another name.”

If you search babynames.com/index.php you’ll find “Michael” for boys, and “Michaela” for girls.

So. In short.
Michael is mostly a masculine name, and rarely a feminine name.

Anyone who’s ever had a Bangles poster on their wall (polite cough) will know that Michael Steele (a) played bass, and (b) was very much female.

And who hasn’t had a Bangles poster on the wall, eh?

Anyway, all the names are taken from census information, so it’s accurate!

I knew a woman named Michael.
When I was little, I knew a girl named Johnny.
Also, Tracy, Sidney, Jamie, Riley, Robin.
TMI?