Is Scapple still being developed or supported?

People might want to look at https://www.scrintal.com which is currently in development and seems to have a host of features forthcoming but it may just be vapourware. There are a couple of demo videos on YouTube as well. Just a thought about the direction Scapple might also take…

That’s ridiculous. Scrivener displays some very nice features in the first ten minutes, but it’s a major piece of software, not a minor widget. It probably breaks the Rabkin rule. Scapple may not.

1 Like

I think a definition of “productive” is necessary here. You can certainly create a project and start writing within ten minutes after installing Scrivener. But unless you at least glance through the Tutorial at some point you’ll likely miss the features that make it special and/or become frustrated as soon as it fails to be a Word workalike.

1 Like

Hmmm. I’d suggest that the “10 minutes” needs to have a number of conversion factors applied, including a “professional purpose” modifier, a “power functions” multiplier and special factor to take into account the general savviness of the operator (in my case that last one might be a big number).

Or, as Arnie once said “earning the first million dollars is the hardest, so my advice is to start with the second.” In the spirit of that, the first 10 minutes with software usually have the steepest learning curve. You can always try starting with the second 10. :wink:

1 Like

On second thought, that could have made sense in 1995, when programs didn’t do very much.

Nah, not really true. I’ve managed my finances on Quicken since the 90’s, and it took longer than 10 minutes just to set up the accounts.

Best,
Jim

Right you are. It took months to be what I’d call productive in Quicken.

1 Like

I would cautiously say, if that quote isn’t taken out of context with a lot of qualifiers around it, Bill Rabkin needs to have a talk with the editors of his shows, because the equipment and software they are using to turn raw footage into something fun to watch most certainly cannot be made productive within ten minutes of a greenhorn sitting down and double-clicking the Avid Media Composer icon (or Final Cut Pro, whatever they use). People go to university for that kind of stuff. :slight_smile:

Quite so. I took an AutoCAD course at around that time, maybe '94, and just getting the digitizer (think ‘mouse’ but way more… way more) set up would take at least half an hour if you knew exactly what you were doing and had done it many times before.

In fact, here’s an AutoCAD workstation circa 1995. Look like something you can pick up and be productive with in ten minutes? :laughing:

3 Likes

Sorry Amber, diferent other Bill Rabkin. But at least you “got it”.

How interesting that in the Scapple forum, a non-existent criticism of Scrivener causes a pile-on. What I meant was that Scapple is useful immediately, compared to other mind-mapping software. You can certainly get typing in Scrivener inside ten minutes but what are you going to print? The compile process is far too complex at first approach.

The comments by the “gentlemen” here have caused me to think long and hard about my own use of Scrivener and I’ve decided to abandon it. The things I write must have references and citations. I thought v3 would do that but it doesn’t. Another problem is there’s just too much to learn and get to grips with. With 20/20 hindsight I should have tested v3 intead of blindly paying to upgrade. Lesson learnt. I’m ceratin, and the evidence is there, that for authors of novels it’s absolutely brilliant. The complexity in it, though, has too often been a barrier to my own work.

The shame is that I was intending to purchase Scrivener for my student grand-nieces. Having thought about their work and the reaction I received here, I won’t be bothering. Call me ridiculous.

Oh, as for Quicken. Create a cheque account, add a few transactions, produce a report. Productive and proof that it’s worth investing more time.

1 Like

The only “pile-on” I see was in response to the usefulness and applicability of Bill Rabkin’s quote. :nerd_face:

Yes. I’m pretty sure the “pile-oners” all agree with you on that. :sunglasses:

Why the scare quotes around “gentlemen”? I see nothing rude or particularly obnoxious in any of the responses. And why would any feedback regarding Bill Rabkin’s quote cause you to reconsider your use of Scrivener? :scream_cat:

There are many academics who hang out here who use Scrivener successfully, and probably have similar requirements to yours . If you have a specific question about a feature or a general question about workflow, these folks are typically very generous with their time and willing to help. :innocent:

Yes, Scrivener can be complex, particularly when you get to the compilation phase. I may be mistaken, but “blindly paying to upgrade” implies that you were happier with an earlier version of Scrivener. If this is the case, which features in v3 have become complex relative to the older version?

Best,
Jim

You know, it still bugs me after all these years that I don’t know if I should be pronouncing @AmberV as “Amber Five” or “Amber Vee”.

1 Like

It depends on whether you are referring to the clone model or the instance, the personality matrix itself.

1 Like

Sorry about my english!
Today i saw this Video on YouTube

, with the Mac-Version of Scapple, and installed the TryOutVersion for Windows. The Video is 2 years old, and the Download is new. This is a difference like Windows 3 and Windows 10.
Why should i pay for this old stuff? LibreOffice-Draw is free and much more modern!

If a simple illustration program[1] is a suitable substitute for you, then Scapple probably was never even slightly the best program for how you work, to begin with. Carry on, use whatever suits you best! We aren’t trying to pull you away from vector design software. :laughing:

Meanwhile this thread is a bit silly (and has been for a while) and out of date anyway, when there is an active beta going on. True, we’ve had to pause it momentarily as the developer is out, but it will be back shortly.

1. For the sake of anyone confused by this, it is a classification of a program within a domain of software that includes such things as Affinity Designer, Adobe Illustrator, InkScape and so forth. Within these, it is a simpler tool, which is not a bad thing, since that is its design goal.

I love the newest update 1.4.1 for Scapple Windows. Nice to be able to label the links now.
For the discussion above, I love that I can easily position and order the notes, there is so much freedom but also structure if I want to. There is no substitute for me, so I use Scapple a lot and I love it.
LibreOffice Draw is in my standard library, and it can probably be used to make similar drawings, but I would miss all the options to arrange the board and information.

1 Like

I think the best apps can be both simple on the surface, but also deep in functionality (if not features.) I don’t want to see new features being added that end up slowing down the user experience or hurting the UI. I don’t think that has to be the case though.

I also understand how some of the feature requests on this board go against Scapple’s underlying design premise, so likely won’t ever be implemented.

In any case I’m very happy with the app as is, other than waiting for iOS/iPadOS version. I am with you 100% on the comparison to pencil-and-paper (which I still turn to every now and then.)

2 Likes

++
I strongly second this suggestion. Whether it’s true Bezier curves with handles or just simply dragging a line outward to bend it (the way it works in some freeware programs) — curved lines are on top of my wishlist.

This has been discussed at length, already.

Thanks for redirecting me to the right spot :blush: