Is Scrivener my tool?

I’ve finished my first novel, Libre Office, format is correct for 6x9 trade paperback, and I can output PDF, DOC[X] or HTML. Now I need EPUB and MOBI.

I thought Scrivener would be good for EPUB but the learning material warns that it is not suitable for publication-quality output.

I like what I’ve seen so far, but my immediate need is for publication-quality output. I need to maintain (ideally) a single ‘source’ format from which I can ‘compile’ outputs for print, PDF, EPUB and MOBI. Amazon will produce the MOBI for me, though I want the control of being able to produce it myself.

Is Scrivener my tool?

Apple accepted the ePub I produced with Scrivener, and Amazon had no problem converting it to mobi.

I may have just been having a slow day, but yesterday I got up to the “Export” part of the tutorial and couldn’t find the EPUB option. Got a hint?

Also tried importing and was very disappointed to find myself with a single, novel-length text document. I had been hoping to find chapters or even scenes. Is this my bad?

You Compile to ePub, not export.

“Also tried importing and was very disappointed to find myself with a single, novel-length text document. I had been hoping to find chapters or even scenes. Is this my bad?”

Read up on the import “Import and Split” option. Some preparation of the source may be required. Some post-import work (further manual splitting and/or indenting/outdenting of resulting individual documents into desired hierarchy in the binder) may be required.

10.1.5 Import and Split
Supported text file (plain or rich text) is selected you will be presented with a text field. Type in the separator that was used in the text to define sections. A common example might be a “#” character. Any line in the document that contains only the text entered into this box will be removed from the file and used to split the results in two. This process continues, further splitting the work into subsequent binder items, until all of these lines have been processed.
A portion of the first line in each sub-divided section will be used to title the incoming items in the binder.

also see 15.3.3 Managing Documents with Split and Merge, for how to rapidly split and merge documents.

Thanks, both.

The separator (LibreOffice) is a page break followed by a chapter title. LO’s numbering tool numbers the chapters for me so “First Chapter” appears as “1 First Chapter” in my output. All chapter titles share the “chapter” style. (Worst case, I can do the splitting manually.)

But I am very worried about finding the formatting that the tutorial thinks may need to be done with some other, more capable tool. Any specific capabilities?

Scrivener seems in some ways ideal. I have a novel of about 240k words, 54 chapters. I want to output a trilogy for print, a heptalogy for epub and mobi. In other ways? (I want to put nice, clickable buttons at the end of the ebooks. Right now I’m thinking about using Sigil or something to edit in scraps of HTML.)