Is there a limit to the number of documents?

Just out of curiosity: Is there a technical limit to the number of documents the binder can hold? Besides the size of the hard disc, I mean. There surely is a counter - what is its maximum value before it restarts with zero? (For example, in good old dBase databases, the maximum number of records in a table was 2.000.000.000.)

:laughing:

The current version of Mac OS X supports 2,147,483,648 (2**31) files and folders in a single folder, with a maximum file size of 16 TB. Theoretically. I think block size and other factors reduce that total.

Dang, I’m going to have to trim down my novel! :laughing:

Given that Scrivener assigns each document a unique integer ID, the limit on the number of documents before things start acting strangely is the maximum limit of a signed int, namely 2147483647. In other words, after the the three standard folders (Draft, Research and Trash), which have the internal IDs 0, 1 and 2 respectively, you can add another 2,147,483,645 documents. Hopefully (for your sake) you will never have need of over two thousand million documents in a project. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

P.S. AmberV - might be worth adding this snippet of info to the FAQ. Thanks!

P.P.S. Looks like others beat me to the answer, given that I was away from my computer for a while. :slight_smile:

Keith, AmberV,

thank you for your answers to a question of no practical meaning!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

BTW, to illustrate this number: I could have each single character I wrote in the last 15 years for 14 novels and a lot of short stories of various sizes - 12,993,301 characters, to be as precisely as possible - in its own document in one Scrivener project and still go on like this for years…

Should be enough room. :laughing:

Another way to look at it: The Library of Congress in Washington D.C. is estimated to have approximately 20TB of data, if you were to digitise all of the books. This means you could fit most of nearly everything that has ever been written in a Scrivener project. At 20 million volumes in the LoC, but a 2+ billion capacity in OS X, that even means you could split up all of those books into appropriate Scrivener sized chunks.

It should be mentioned in passing that if you actually did have a project that big, your office would sound like a 747 with all of those hard drives and servers.