Is there a practical way to get a total word count for a project?

Besides going through the steps of compiling, is there a simpler way to get the total word count for a manuscript? I’ve been all over the documentation. Clearly I’m missing something, because I can’t imagine it would be as user-unfriendly as that.

Also…is there another way to view the whole manuscript besides inside a pop-up window? Again, I’m sure I’m doing something wrong, because this is just weird.

EDITED: Silverdragon has a better answer than the one I originally gave.

To get a total word count for all the documents in your Draft folder that are currently included in compile on an iPad:

1. View any document in your Draft folder.
  2. Tap on the word count in the bottom tool bar. (On the iPhone, it’s in the top toolbar and is only available if you’re actually editing a document.)

You should see a word count of your entire draft folder as it will compile, and be able to set word count targets.

So far as I know, there is no way to view the entire manuscript except inside a pop-up window. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me. :slight_smile:

Thank you! I was hoping it would be something simple like that!

I still hope they’re able to add a full-page review and edit for the whole document (I write short chapters and that would be very helpful for doing quick edits.)

Thank you, again!

But there is no way to see the total wordcount for a folder, is it?

The pop-up is more useful in this than it seems at first. From the Draft Preview pop-up, if you double tap on a word, you’re taken to the document in edit mode with your cursor at that point. It took a bit of practice because if I’m too slow on the double tap Scrivener sees it as a single tap and just opens the document at its top. But yes, I can use the preview pop-up as a substitute scrivening.

You can do this by just compiling the subfolder - the preview area of Compile gives you the word count of the compiled text.

Yeah!