Is there a Scrivener Glossary

I am now to Scrivener and I am getting confused by all the different items inside the software and that they are typically used for. Things like notes, bookmarks, collections, progress, labels, status, metadata, keywords, I could go on.

I am trying to wrap my head around what they are all for and when to you each under which circumstances .

So this may be a redundant topic, but I could not find a place here or in the documentation where each of these terms and others were defined.

If I missed it, I apologize in advance.

Thank you,
Dom

What documentstion did search in? The user manual? The interactive tutorial?
I found it helpful to read an introductory book about Scrivener when I began using it. But then again, one doesn’t need to know all of Scrivener’s feature. The day you feel a need for a specific feature, look in the user manual if there is a way to do it.

I wrote a 90,000-word thesis in Scrivener 2 and about the only “feature” I used was footnotes. As you learn about the program you may find uses for some of its functionality or you may not. And some of the uses you find may be things which others have never imagined. It is that open.

Thank you all for your replies!

I would start with the “interactive tutorial” (as Lunk mentioned) found under the Help menu. It’s just a project that happens to have a bunch of stuff to read, plus instructions to experiment with the features of Scrivener. You can always delete the project and start a new one, so it’s a great place to try stuff out, since it’s not really any different than any other project, except how you can create it.

That should give you the terms you need to discuss features in a language that forum regulars and Lit & Lat employees will immediately understand.

In general though, many features can be used for a variety of purposes, so you’re not tied to using Keywords for tracking fictional characters, for instance. Some features are better suited to certain uses than others, so it’s worth asking, “Hey, how do people track sub-plot progression in Scrivener?” You’ll get a variety of answers, hopefully one of which makes the best sense for the way you think and work.

Thank you for your reply.

I have done the Interactive Tutorial as well as Joseph Michaels Scrivener course before I made this post. I still don’t have them all straight in my head.

Just keep in mind that there’s no one way to use most features. The Synopsis can be for any short bit of info you want, including a picture, for instance. So the best questions to ask are “how do people do X in Scrivener,” and you’ll get people suggesting that you use Snapshots, or create a custom metadata field, or keywords, or bookmarks… if you know where to find these things, then you’re most of the way there.

You don’t have to have it all in your head. Focus on what you want to do instead. Or phrased another way:

Start writing and when you feel the need to do something, check the manual or the tutorial, or ask a question in the forum.