Is there a way to export Synopses?

Hi. I have a bunch of documents that I’m using in Corkboard view. None of them have any content, but they all have Synopses. I’m basically just using them as index cards. But I’m wondering if there’s a way to export all the Synopses into one text file. I don’t see a way to export Synopses.

Thanks!

Mirskyman

The compiler is much more than just a tool for turning your draft folder into a single file, it can also be used to export reports and outlines as well. For starters, what I’d do is select “Synopsis Outline” or “Synopses and Titles” from the Format As drop down. That’ll probably do what you want without any further tweaking. But if you would like to make changes to the appearance, most of that can be done in the Formatting compile option pane. Say you don’t want any indentation, you could delete all of the extra level rows in the top list so that you only have the three basic types (folder, file groups, files). Whatever the case, you can see from this section that this important ingredient is the “Synopsis” column in that list. If you did not want titles, you could untick the checkboxes in the Title column.

Ioa, thanks so much for the help.

I’d been trying to use the Export command and not Compile. But, obviously, Compile was the proper choice.

I have some questions about the formatting, though. I’m compiling Synopses and Titles. In the resulting compiled file, there are bullets and indentations before each Title. I can’t figure out how to remove them using the Formatting settings. Is there a way?

Thanks again.

A good general tip for Compile is, if you are finding the formatting isn’t working out how you want it, select “Original” under “Format As”. This is the “vanilla” setting - choosing this will cause your text to be output as-is with no titles or synopses and the formatting exactly as it is in the editor. This is a good starting point for tweaking things. You could then go to the “Formatting” pane of Compile and choose to include only titles and synopses instead of text, and set up the font you want to be used for the synopses. If you have bullet points before the titles, it’s because you are using a compile preset that has added them (via the “Level Settings” in the “Formatting” pane).

All the best,
Keith

Kevin, thanks! That did what I want. I’ve yet to find a feature I’ve looked for that Scrivener didn’t already have.

Scrivener even has a Kevin = Keith conversion utility!

i think it’s the fact that folks assume names are in the sig line if the sig looks like KB’s.

Although the question is who should really be offended? Maybe !KB (Kevin in this case) is actually a high ranking executive with multiple billions of dollars (pounds) securely stashed (obviously not in a bank) and the constant miss-use of his name infuriates him to the point of threatening libel actions on all that do so. Maybe. Or maybe not.

Hold up there, get that cart out of the way of your horse. :slight_smile: I put the sig there in the first place because I was already constantly being called Kevin!

Which is why I suggested in the other thread about avatars that Keith should change his to number 100 in the diagram, Kevin, so that then he could get rid of the sig line, and simply respond in the persona of his avatar.
8)
Mark

I’d be prepared to bet that most of the people who get Keith’s name wrong are from the USA, where, I would guess, Kevin is a fairly common name, because of the Irish influence, but Keith is not. In this country, being next to Scotland, Keith is probably more common than Kevin – though I admit that I have no real evidence to back this up – only a vague impression.

Cheers, Martin.

If you want to make this a geocentric issue, I’m good with that. But let’s at least make it realistic.

People in the US call KB Kevin because we don’t fee the need to respect the conventions of any country other than our own (I think there have been enough wars to prove that already). As such we are free to name people anyway we see fit.

So there!

:mrgreen:

I suppose I should have stated that I lived in another country (Italy) for ten years, and still often speak the language to friends, my brother has lived in Scandinavia for nearly forty years, and has had one Norwegian and one Swedish wife (the latter still current), so I have been immersed in cross-cultural and cross-linguistic phenomena for a long time. Not only that, but I find them fascinating. They also form a part of my research work, so I can’t help noticing them (or what seem to me to be examples of them).

Cheers, Martin.

Related to the original poster’s question …

Compile gets you the text, but can you export the titles and synopses in a way that allows for importing that back in to replace the current outline? I think that would be too hard or confusing if there is content in each item. I would do this during the stage when it’s just an outline.

I see that the synopses don’t get included in the external folder sync. I could export as OPML and get them, import it all back in, then deal with replacing the copies that get imported. However, I was curious if there was another way. The ideal (for me, at least) would be if you could see the outline with synopses in the external sync folder in plain text so that I could edit it on my phone.

…I could just wait for the iOS versions, though, in case there’s a feature for that in there. :slight_smile:

…or I could just wait till I’m not on the train…so many choices…

If you’re using an iPhone, check out Index Cards. It does pretty much what you are describing. Since the programs are not quite the same in terms of how things are organised, you won’t see be syncing an outline but rather a flat list of cards (using Collections). So you will see a list of index cards with synopses (including notes and main text if you use that option), with full sync. Read up in section 13.4 (pg. 159) of the user manual for further detail.

Thanks. I was a few minutes behind you. You’re fast. :slight_smile: I had just come back in here to delete the question.