Is there another way to quickly open docs / folders besides of doing it via the favorites?

Is there another way to quickly open docs / folders besides of doing it via the favorites? May be using icons on a tool bar?

My preferred method is Quick Search, which has a keyboard shortcut. You can usually tap in only a few letters to pull it up, and since the first result is selected, can just hit Enter to load it. If it’s not first, the arrow keys help selection, or typing in a few more letters.

Edit: oh, upon reading AntoniDol’s response, I may have misunderstood “docs” to mean inside the project itself, rather than whole projects. Sounds like you have both covered with possibilities now though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a few Shortcuts on my Desktop to Scrivener files:

Select the .scrivx-file and copy the project name to the clipboard
Paste the project name after the file path in the File Explorer, with a “\” in between.
Choose File/New Item/Shortcut
Paste the complete File Path to your project, press Next.
Choose a Name for your Shortcut, press Finish.

You can move your Shortcut to any other place you like, your desktop for example.

1 Like

As “Favorites” only apply to Projects…

Bit of an old-school user thing, as “Favorites” use to be a feature that was replaced by Bookmarks. Adding documents and folders to that list would place them in the “Go To” style menus as project bookmarks currently are.

Thank you, sounds good, I will try the Quick search in everyday life.

Sorry, docs, folders, favorites…now text, bookmarks…yes, I meant inside the project. Yes, AntoniDol’s answer is very usefully anyway…if I would get it to work, but I don’t.

My preferred method is Quick Search, which has a keyboard shortcut. You can usually tap in only a few letters to pull it up, and since the first result is selected, can just hit Enter to load it.

It seems Quick Search automatically uses the “Exact Phrase” method. Can it be set to use another method, e.g. “Any Word” (like the Google search does, I assume)?

No, it is optimised toward targeting specific items you know by name, not broadly searching for text you may not recall the full extent of. So it puts priority on titles typed in completely, as well as titles beginning with the letters you’re typing (as opposed to matches in the middle of the title).

Making this search fuzzy would somewhat defeat the purpose of it as a rapid navigation tool.

But it seems that works as well here. So I would think there is a little fuzzyness.

Making this search fuzzy would somewhat defeat the purpose of it as a rapid navigation tool.

OK. Actually I would not know why.

There isn’t any fuzziness—by that I mean Google-style search results where what you type into the search field may not even be found in the thing you searched for at all, and things you did not type may come up instead. I do not think that kind of result would benefit this particular tool. It can be useful for, as I say, situations where you aren’t 100% sure of what you’re looking for but have a vague idea.

This feels a bit like it’s gone off track to me. The original question was how better to load a bookmarked item than using the menus. You presumably know the thing you want to load in that case, and can just type in enough of its name to raise it to the top, or very close to the top, of the list.

Update: actually, yeah, it looks like the Windows version is not prioritising “begins with” and is using binder order at a higher priority. In other words if I search for “skele”, and there is a file called “skeleton” in the Research folder, I should not be given “Fossils and Skeletons” from the Draft folder, first.

I use a NOTES scriv project that opens when the computer starts.
This is a general notes project. Quick notes for projects, clients, comments.
I move these bits as required.
The top page has a number of links to:
The root folder where i keep all writing projects
A number of current projects.

This feels a bit like it’s gone off track to me. The original question was how better to load a bookmarked item than using the menus.

Well well, actually I would not think so, if there is a better way than using bookmarks why insist, just because the original question was like that?

You presumably know the thing you want to load in that case, and can just type in enough of its name to raise it to the top, or very close to the top, of the list.

Well, if there is a wrong sign the item does not show up at all, so (sometimes) a littel Google fuzziness (corresponding to “All Words”, if I remember it right) might be good. May just be the right fuzziness is needed.

Thank you for the uopdate.

Sorry, FredBob. I cannot imagine at all how your NOTES project works, what exactly are the benefits, how does it work? May be you have one example or more?

Well if you prefer a less literal result there is of course regular project search, which has all manner of options, and is only slightly less efficient than Quick Search. (We really need to get that issue fixed where the Esc key doesn’t dismiss it and go back to the Binder! :angry: )

One last thing though, as you did mention wishing to access bookmarks via the toolbar, you may have perhaps removed the button that was there by default, but there is one that will load a bookmarks floating window. If switching between them is something you do a fair bit of, it’s compact enough to keep to the side.

Well, if there is a wrong sign the item does not show up at all, so (sometimes) a littel Google fuzziness (corresponding to “All Words”, if I remember it right) might be good.

I suppose you could classify “any” as being a bit fuzzy. When you say Google-like though, that to me implies a lot of sophisticated stuff that is way above our pay-grade, like bubbling, word-net associations, weak-AI level refinement, grammar recognition and conversion to internal machine indexing, etc.

Well if you prefer a less literal result there is of course regular project search, which has all manner of options, and is only slightly less efficient than Quick Search. (We really need to get that issue fixed where the Esc key doesn’t dismiss it and go back to the Binder! :angry: )

So at the moment instead of Esc you just have to press CTRL+SHIFT+F again?
And that PDF issue (when searching the first time after starting a project).

One last thing though, as you did mention wishing to access bookmarks via the toolbar, you may have perhaps removed the button that was there by default, but there is one that will load a bookmarks floating window. If switching between them is something you do a fair bit of, it’s compact enough to keep to the side.

No no, I didn’t, it is quite useless for me, it does not hide when pressing the same short cut again (or Esc), so you have to hide it with the mouse only, I assume, you each time have to re-size, re-position it after you open it again / after starting Scrivener. When you click a bookmark or mark it by pressing the first letter of the bookmark name it loads that item (which might take some time when it is a folder with many docs, so I had to wait just to go on). It can’t be more pointless, I would think (well, actually it can if it destroyed the entire project after opening it or so).

I suppose you could classify “any” as being a bit fuzzy. When you say Google-like though, that to me implies a lot of sophisticated stuff that is way above our pay-grade, like bubbling, word-net associations, weak-AI level refinement, grammar recognition and conversion to internal machine indexing, etc.

Oops, no no, that is by far too fuzzy for me, I would think (respectively, never heard of such). The fuzziness of the minimum wage pay-grade search option using “All Words” really seems to be enough. I just will try it in everyday life as a bookmark replacement.

Yeah, but for me it’s just a deeply engrained habit that Esc cancels whatever you’ve opened and takes you back to where you were. So I always go there first, no matter what, and probably will until there are no keyboards left. :smiley: