Is There Any Way To Use Change Default RTF 'Setting' of Import Command?

Hi,
There are times when I have a file which contains both text (typically, from Word, my word processor of choice), and photos.

I know that using the Import command converts text to RTF, and strips the photos out of files if I use Import to get the file into the Binder, preserving the text and the photos.

However, I also know that if I open the Word file, and Select All, and then Copy, I am able to paste the whole file into the Binder in Scrivener.

Given that the only operation here are opening the Word file, copying the contents of the file, and then pasting that content, is it possible for the Scrivener developers to write a macro and code to extract and copy the information from Word files, so that text and photos can be extracted in this way?

The research for some of my writing projects can contain a lot of text-plus-photos, and - to use a very different, but equally practical example - I have a very large Recipes folder (years in the making), which I would like to transfer to my newly created Scrivener Recipe project.

The time it would take to open every Word file in these projects, and copy and paste the contents of those files into the Binder makes the transfer of these files unfeasible to me.

Thanks for any replies.

I’ve used mac macros in Automator (separate app/program) to do similar tasks in the past (though I’m going guess you don’t have a spare mac laying around?). Windows generally speaking has programs that can execute keyboard and mouse commands. AutoHotkey https://www.autohotkey.com/ comes to mind, you could check it out? Windows can be made to automate tasks, but it generally takes scripting to make it happen. At least in the ones I’ve tried to use in the past.

Many years ago I did something like rename the .docx file so the it’s a .zip file, unzipped it, and then the photos were there as just normal image files. Though the extension rename change is only possible if you have show file extensions turned on, it’s in like folder options I want to say? On windows I always just keep it on, so it isn’t something I change much. This might be helpful: Unzip Word Document .docx Files

You mentioned this is research for your writing, so it materials you don’t need to edit, correct? if so, then what about using word to print them to pdf and then importing the pdf files into Scriv? Could that be an option? If it is, maybe you could even use some specialized docx to pdf converter to speed up the process?

If you do have to do this manually with copy & paste, are you aware of the keyboard shortcuts for copy & paste? Yes having to press ctrl+A, ctrl+C, alt+tab, and ctrl+V for each one wouldn’t be ideal, but it’s much faster than using the mouse only. Sorry if you’re fully fluent in keyboard shortcuts, I find people either tend to know basically all of them or not be aware that they even exist.

1 Like

Hi demonofsarila,
Many thanks for your wonderfully creative and comprehensive reply.

I do, actually, have an old Mac laying around - a big, clunky Mac Pro (which I used to use for recording my songs, and for some videos) - but it is so old now, and also I do all my writing on PC, so I do not use the Mac any more.

I was hoping to prompt the Scrivener devs into looking into this, as I am hopeless with any form of coding, so will not be going that route, as it would be fruitless.

Partly because I want the Scrivener devs to consider this as a request, and partly because even opening the original file, and copying and pasting the content into a new Scrivener file in the Binder takes so long when you have a lot of existing files, I cannot see myself first zipping a file, and then using the Unzip Word Document .doc Files to achieve this kind of thing.

Sorry, I know it sounds like I am shooting down every suggestion you are making - not intending to sound ungrateful, but I really think that Scrivener could be made to do this very easily, given that I can copy and paste so easily (although it does take a lot of time when multiplied by many existing files, as I mentioned).

And I do want to retain the ability to edit the files.

Thanks for suggesting using keyboard shortcuts.

Like you, I find them to be much quicker and more efficient than using the mouse, and I use keyboard shortcuts as much as possible in Scrivener, as well as in Windows (and previously on the Mac, where possible).

I suppose that having used computers since before DOS was invented, and even that was well before computer mice were even thought of, has also had an influence on the way I use computers, so I prefer keyboard shortcuts for that reason, too.

I often try to get people to use keyboard shortcuts, with very little success, I might say.

Many thanks for your reply.

1 Like

I just tried this with Scrivener 3.1.0.0 using both the Aspose converter and using Word as my converter, with the same results. I also manually saved my .DOCX file as .RTF in Word, again with the same results.

I am honestly surprised that using Word does not allow import with greater fidelity.

Unfortunately, right now, it sounds like you need to copy and paste your photos in.

1 Like

Thanks very much for trying this, devinganger.

I really hope that the devs try to get a faithful import to work (using both the ‘Import’ and drag-and-drop functionality), as it is obviously possible by doing it ‘manually’, and also because it would be very useful.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Weirdly enough, I’ve had to deal with similar types of situations in the past.

Maybe I didn’t explain this part properly? You don’t zip/compress/archive the word files. You renamed their file extension, you change their file type. Programs like Total Commander can rename files in batch on windows. Then you can use programs like 7zip to unzip all the files at once. The goal being that instead of opening each file in word to select, copy, & paste each image out of the file, you instead have a bunch of folders that contain png, jpg, gif, etc. files that you can just drop in Scrivener in mass. This works because the docx file format is actually already a zip file, just a special zip file that word can open & edit the contents of. Once you rename it to being a normal zip file, you can then open it up and take a look at the insides without using word.

Though I will definitely agree: if Scrivener strips the image out of a word file on import then I hope the dev’s look at this and consider doing something about it. Because it would be handy to have the ability to drop in word files that contain text and images into Scrivener and have it just work.

Me too. I know people (in person, friends & co-workers) on both ends of the spectrum:

“Of course I know how to use keyboard shortcuts! How stupid do you think I am!”
and
“I can’t remember all that! It’s way too complicated! You’re way too tech-y for me!” (when all I tried to teach them was one or two basic ones, like ctrl+c & ctrl+v or alt+f4)

And I’ve seen online some people who are like “I’m a Mouse-First user” with an arrogant air like as if the mouse is always superior and using it makes them superior. One can get fast with a mouse, but at least for some tasks you can’t beat someone who has keyboard shortcuts wired into their muscle memory.

Anyway, my ranting aside, I’m glad you weren’t offended by me suggesting keyboard shortcuts.

Sorry, my fault - you explained renaming the file using the .zip extension very clearly, but I messed up explaining that I understood that, but that I thought that the whole process of using programs like Total Commander, and then 7Zip, would be of limited use to me - but maybe I had originally misunderstood this, because I did not realize that batch processing was a possibility in doing this.

I will think about this.

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this further, and for educating me about another aspect of this - I never realized that the .docx format is a kind of .zip file.

Regarding keyboard shortcuts, I hear you loud and clear, and have had all of those reactions, including the (inexplicable, to me) defensive ‘I’m a Mouse User’.

It also sounds like you and I are people who completely reject the whole PC vs. Mac ‘war’.

If the computer does what I want it to do, that is all I am interested in.

The only beef I have with the Mac people is that Steve Jobs stole the Apple name, symbol (changed it a little), and idea from The Beatles (he said The Beatles was the best business model he ever came across, and was a huge fan).

One of the lawsuits even prevented the Mac people from putting music in their OS’s, but that was pre-digital, and Jobs and co. later took advantage of that as a loophole.

I react to this because the whole idea of Apple (The Beatles’ record label, and other companies) was philanthropic, and Jobs and co. debased that idea.

Specifically, Apple was formed to give opportunities to those who might not otherwise get a record contract - and first non-Beatles releases succeeded brilliantly in that because they discovered James Taylor, and Mary Hopkin, and a fellow called Jackie Lomax.

Hope this does not come across as too much of a rant.

1 Like

Thanks for trying more ideas. :slight_smile:

When there’s a lot of doing the same task over and over in the computer, I always try to find a way to automate it, because to me batch processing is one of the thing computers are to do for us.

You’re very welcome, and enjoy the food for thought if nothing else.

Ironically, I have read about the less someone knows about the other OS, the more they will defend the one they do know about as being better (which logically makes no sense, as they litteraly have less knowledge to support that argument). It’s a goofy side effect of human psychology left over probably from tribal times. Though it is nice to have found another kindred spirit of sorts, if you don’t mind me saying. I own a mac, a pc, and a chromebook (and an android, iphone, and ipad) because they each serve different purposes and have different strengths and weaknesses. Which one I use depends on what I’m trying to do.

I didn’t know that, so thank you for that bit info about The Beatles. I’m not overly found of Steve Jobs anyway. I remember being required by a class to listen to a talk by him. One of things he went on and on about was how he thought he was so smart for being “the only” person think of bringing fonts to computers. As if no one else on the whole planet earth could have ever consider the idea and as if it would have never happened if it weren’t for him.

I don’t mind, it seems we both are prone to little spells of ranting, lol.

1 Like