Is this a good basic template?

I just got Scrivener 3 and I want to use it to write a non-fiction book. I already know the pages will amount to ten per chapter and I want to keep things basic. Would having a folder for each chapter and ten pages of text files for each page be the best method to easily compile it into the final draft? After digging through the UX tutorial and reading about the final compiling step, this last part of the process remains a mystery to me.

It’s entirely up to you. You could indeed take this route, although I wouldn’t recommend trying to keep one page per text document, unless each page is a separate section, as that would be very artificial. Instead I’d work out roughly how many words ten pages will be (probably around 3,000) then set that as a goal for the folder. You could equally just have a single text document for each chapter and set a document target of 3,000 words (or whatever it will be) for each chapter document. It depends how you work best, and how small you want to break things up in Scrivener. You can break things up in all sorts of ways and have them come out the same in the final book.

Thanks for that. I have to stick to some standards for this that require me to answer one question per page. If I use only one text document for each chapter, is there a way to show which “page” I’m on within that one document?

You could switch to page view (via View > Text Editing), but bear in mind that this is only accurate if you Compile in such a way that the text looks exactly the same in the final document as it does in the editor. (That is, if you, say, use Times 12pt in the editor and then Compile using Arial 14pt, then obviously the text will span across a different number of pages.)

If you have to answer one question per page, though, then I would say that your original idea is the ideal way of going about this - just use a different document for each question (page), ten in each folder (chapter).

Great, thanks for the pointers.