Issues with windows 10 latest update

Hello,

I’m starting to encounter pretty consistent errors with scrivener and the latest Windows 10 update. The easiest one to reproduce is to begin writing in ‘full screen’ mode. Usually right away contextual menus (right click menus, and even normal menus) begin to go buggy. Blank boxes appear instead of the correct menu. It seems it is a type of hang. I’ve noticed that if you just let it sit for thirty seconds or so the menu sometimes populates. Once this bug happens, it happens throughout the entire windows system, even after scrivener is closed. It is usually followed by other ‘hangs’ in software. The specific instances seem almost random. Sometimes windows itself will begin to hang and crash and can only be rescued by a hard reboot.

I’m using the latest version of scrivener: 1.9.7.0 and I’m running Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4.

I’ll keep hunting to see if it is possibly some background operation, but generally speaking I keep that stuff pretty minimal.

Any help or conformations would be appreciated.

-SGW

I tried to replicate your issues and failed. But I did learn some new stuff about working in full screen mode. I updated my Windows 10 Tuesday afternoon and worked in Scrivener for many hours Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and some today as well. No issues.

If I were to guess, I’d suggest updating your video drivers. If you are using a laptop you are usually better off going through the vendor for updates. Standard towers are pretty safe going to the video maker (Intel, Nvidia, other).

I’ve upgraded about 50 pc’s this week (none using scrivener though) and have found no issues.

You might also try stopping other things running in the background that could be causing the conflict.

Make sure antivirus/antimalware/internet security apps are up to date (both signatures and executables) and that they are compatible with the latest Windows 10 update – they may block some or all of the Scrivener components from working correctly.

Boot into safe mode and see if Scrivener has the same issues there. If not that points to other software on the system. Boot normally, disable AV/AM, and try again, as they are the most likely culprits.

You may also wish to disable AV/AM, uninstall Scriver completely, reboot, reinstall Scrivener, then re-enable AV/AM.

I just updated too (a few minutes ago) and find that my full Scrivener app is very unresponsive. It’s very slow. Any reason why this might be? (On a side, at what point is your manuscript too big for one scrivener project, and you should open a second? It seems to lag more the more I write.)

Oddly enough, windows 10 isn’t windows 10. Currently there are two separate versions of regular windows 10. The 1607 version and the 1703 version. - The first two digits are the year and the 2nd two are the month. So in March of 2017 Microsoft started updating people to the newer version and are around 50% done. I’ve noticed some clients having problems with some software after the latest update who were on 1703 but that problem is not experienced by those on 1607.

You can determine your version of Windows 10 by start/settings/system/about

You’ll see an Edition: and also a Version:

It could help the programmers try to replicate it if they knew what version of windows you were on.

My latest use of scrivener seemed to be okay. So, either the bug is inconsistent or an additional system update has fixed the issue. Either way he is the system info:

I’m on version 1703. Here is the rest of the system info dump

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-IVFJGP3
System Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model Surface Pro 4
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Surface_Pro_4
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2496 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Microsoft Corporation 107.1741.768, 6/13/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.1
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Slate
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.82 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.18 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.93 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Note that the latest version of Win 10 is 1709, the “Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

No problems with Scrivener on it, on my self-built PC. (i7-6700K, Z170 chipset, SSD drives, GTX1080+GTX1060, 5 monitors)