It bugs me, rather than being a bug as such ...

What I find, which does bug me, is if I have Scrivener with two projects open and then quit, when I next start Scrivener, the project that was in the front — which is normally the one I want to get back to immediately — opens first, followed by the project that was in the background. So the background project overlays the project that I want to work on, and I have to faff around a bit to bring the other forward.

A minor matter, you say, and I agree … but it’s just about the only niggle I have with Scrivener at the moment. Can anything be done about the order in which projects are opened automatically?

Mark

I don’t know about changing the order the documents open, but using Cmd-tilde (~)* might reduce the faffing.

*For those that don’t know, while Cmd-Tab in OS X switches between active apps, Cmd-Tilde switches between active windows in the front-most app. Possibly my most used key combination.

On my machine it’s actually Cmd-` (the tilde, which is on the same key, being produced by using Shift).

Also one of the most-used key combinations on my Mac.

I would guess – only a guess, mind – that launching of a program and its files is handled entirely by the system, so it might be proceeding in alphabetical order, or the order in which the windows (nearly wrote “widows”) opened, rather than which window was in front. You could try opening the projects in a different order and see if that makes a difference.

Martin.

I’m not sure what causes this, and it’s certainly not consistent, although I do see it myself often enough. Upon closing, Scrivener records the documents that are open in top-to-bottom order. Upon reopening, it opens them again in reverse order (i.e. from bottom to top, so that the top-most is open last). My guess is that some documents just take longer to open than others and that Cocoa does the opening at the same time.

Umm … but to me top means the current project, the one in front, and bottom is the one in the background, so in my understanding, it’s doing it the other way round. And on the “slower opening”, the project that I had in front which caused me to write this has many more documents than the one which opened second/more slowly.

And yes, I’m sure it’s really down to the system somehow. I’ll look at it as Martin suggests, closing all projects, opening them in a particular order and seeing if the original order of opening is behind it. And I’ll get used to Cmd-` or whatever the shortcut is.

But another thought: Nisus had a problem of a similar kind in NWP 2.0.3, which I think they’ve solved in 2.0.4. In NWP’s case, if you had the preferences set to re-open documents on starting the program, and closed the program down with a document open, if you later clicked on a Nisus document in the finder to open that, it would load the one you clicked on then load the document that had been open on closure the previous time, so the wrong document was the frontmost one. As I say, I think the bods at Nisus found a way round that irritating glitch.

Mark

The last document to be opened is the one that should be on top. Thus, Scrivener is doing it the correct way around - it opens the bottom-most document first, the top-most last.

Anyway, I spent an hour or two on this morning and think I’ve improved it; Scrivener now checks the order after all documents have been opened and adjusts if necessary.

:blush:
It was late; I was trying to be helpful; my mother rang; the dog threw up; I need glasses; it wasn’t my fault!.

Although it is, technically and correctly, the “grave accent” key (and only becomes “tilde” with the shift key) it is usually described in forums and help documents as “tilde” and the shortcut is often shown as “⌘~” instead of “⌘`”. My only remaining excuse is that “tilde” is easier to say and remember than “grave accent”.

Accuracy be damned! :wink:

If you want to get really technical about it, “CMD-s” is the way you do a manual save, not “CMD-S”. The menu is full of such examples where it’s the key on the keyboard they’re referring to and not the actual character you get without shifting.

I actually ran into an issue where I couldn’t create a custom shortcut to replace the default CMD-* because it defualted to CMD-8, and if I used the shift key, the shortcut was CMD-SHIFT-* (I think)… I could only get it to work when I realized that my number pad had a * key that wasn’t associated with the 8 key.