Italian interface is incomplete

Just to highlight that the Italian interface still contains a lot of English terms. For example, if you click on Inspector, you have “label” rather than “Etichetta” or “Final Draft” instead of “Bozza finale”.

The Italian translator must have made a decision to preserve certain international terms, I assume.

But Final Draft (in some instances) is a product name which shouldn’t be translated.

Not sure I understand. What do you mean by “Final Draft” is a products name? A final draft is just a “bozza finale” in Italian language.

In some instances, Final Draft might refer to the software of that name.

Or perhaps the Italian translator chose to keep/use the English term. Languages often share words. We have a lot of Italian words in English. :smiley:

Or maybe, given your other problems, there was an issue with the installation. I’m sure a dev will help.

Well, there are a lot of words in the Italian interface that are not translated. Apart some technical jargon, most English words can be translated to Italian. As an Italian writer I do not like to have such a mix of Italian and English words in the interface. I would prefer to use English interface for English essays, and Italian interface for Italian novels I write.

Furthermore I am trying now the Italian dictionary. It is really poor. I have to tell Scrivener to learn orthography for a lot of common Italian words. :confused:

If there is not a better dictionary, probably I will have to move back to Word, even if it has not all the features of Scrivener. :frowning: It would be really a pity.

I like the program but after playing with it a couple of hours I found a lot of bugs and strange behaviours. For example, if I import a Word file containing a table, the table is messed up if rows have different number of columns. Another problem is that small-caps words get unreadable when I click on them.

I also had two hangs… :frowning:

While some English words are accepted in the Italian vocabulary, the examples given are really excessive. Since there are equivalents in Italian, I see no reason for using “label” instead of “etichetta” or “final draft” instead of “bozza finale”.

At the same time, the quality of some “professional” translation is so low now, that I cannot exclude some translator agency can do abominations like this. Both the Mac and Windows user interfaces contain horror stories of excessive use of anglicisms, and even sentences plainly modeled on the English consecutio temporis.

Very often it is the fault of the user. In a review, I was contested to having used the word “tavolozza” instead of the English “palette”. Clearly, the reviewer felt the use of an Italian word to be outdated and out of jargony fashion.

Paolo

I don’t work for LitNLat, but I have been involved with the translations so I can answer this one…

It’s just incomplete.

All the Windows translations have been undertaken by unpaid volunteers, and were done at a much earlier stage of the program’s development (around 1.3 if memory serves me correctly). Some of those translations have kept up with the evolving releases, but every new feature (or indeed a subtle recoding of an old one) requires the strings to be re-translated. There are a huge amount of strings that need to be updated (the original translation took about about 40 hours of time spread over evenings and weekends), and in particular, version 1.8 had a massive overhaul. Users might not have appreciated the size and scope of the change from the feature list alone (although that was certainly impressive), but it was a substantial re-gigging of what’s under the hood. I know that my own translation efforts stopped at that point; Lee and his team had simply worked so hard that I couldn’t keep up.

Now that the feature set for 1.8 is stable, I’ll speak to the guys again and see if they want to send round another set of translation files to fix these gaps.

To Briar Kit’s point, Final Draft is a proper name for a piece os software for screen writers. It should not be changed.

If you are seeing the phrase as a reference an specific internal resource (a piece of meta data to an object), in that place it should be changed.

Tavolozza is not outdated at all since it is a name that is still used by painters in Italy. There is no reason to use palette in an Italian interface.

I translated several programs as a volunteer. In most cases I got a license of the program but sometimes it was a free service to provide Italian users with little knowledge of English with a valuable freeware or shareware. I spent a lot of time to translate software because I do not like bad works. Being a volunteer and working by free is not a good reason to perform a poor translation.

That is the case.

Hey! :cry:

I’ve already explained this. It’s not a poor translation. The translators did a great job and did everything they were asked to do. It’s just out of date.

Excellent. I suggest you approach the developers and offer your services.

I did. :slight_smile: By free, of course.