Welcome to all, happy holidays and happy new year.
I’m publishing this post because I need a script according to the Italian screenplay model.
I’m non able to create a template with these features. Does anyone know how to use Scrivener well enough to create a template with the structure of the Italian screenplay?
As you know, the Italian screenplay has the same heading as the American screenplay.
The rest of the text is arranged in two columns.
On the left column are indicated:
- a summary description of the environment, atmospheric time, any background sounds or music;
- the description of the characters (their physical appearance, how they are dressed, etc.) and their actions (including gestures and expressions, if essential for understanding the story);
On the right column are indicated:
- dialogues (CHARACTER: (parenthetical indications such as tone of voice, mood, etc.) / speech)
- relevant sounds for narration.
I thank everyone, especially those who will be able to provide me a help.
Scrivener doesn’t really handle colums.
I think you might as well create a document template from a table with white (and therefore invisible) borders.
Likely to be used in standard mode. Not in scriptwriting mode.
I suspect that in this way I would lose the automatic insertion of head, characters, parenthetical indications, etc.
And I just tested a table inside a document set for scriptwriting mode : it doesn’t work either. It bypasses/messes up all the functions specific to scriptwriting.
annie should have been all caps, and whatever came after between parentheses, in the setting I tested with.
Tab shifts to the next cell instead.
[EDIT] Although : assigning the element afterwards works.
Yes, I tried it too. In the end, I think I’ll use the pre-set screenplay from Scrivener and then adjust everything in Word…
This might just work.
Look at my last screenshot.
I’ve set Scrivener in page view mode, so that I know where I am at page wise, and the border of the table you can later change to white once you are done, or even before, since there is only two cells, each on their half of the page and easy to aim at.
The only issue is that you have to assign the elements afterwards.
So, basically, the downside is that they won’t apply themselves according to the set order.
Still way less work than reformatting the whole thing later in Word.
(Although there might be apps dedicated to scriptwriting better suited for your specific need.)
You could probably trick Scrivener into applying a set order of specific formatting by cleverly using styles instead of the script’s elements.
Each style having the possibility of being assigned a “next style”, build your sequence of styles.
Although you’d then have to type parentheses and stuff yourself.
Nothing is perfect.