Italics export as underline

I am using some italics in my manuscript for emphasis. When I export my Draft as RTF or DOC however, these instances of italic text have all become underlined.
No drama, but I think a bug.

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

In this case, I can honestly say ‘it’s not a bug, it’s a feature!’.

Traditional fixed width Courier font doesn’t have an italic typeface, so it’s been traditional for as long as I remember (and probably much longer) to underline text in your manuscript that you want the printer to set as italic in the final printed work. So, since Scrivener is supposed to produce a properly formatted manuscript as its output, this is its default behaviour.

You can disable this behaviour when using the ‘Compile Manuscript’ feature by selecting the ‘Text Options’ tab and deselecting ‘replace italics with underline’. I’m not sure if this applies for exporting individual files.

Thanks! I missed that option.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Literature and Latte for writing Scrivener. I used this as my tool for my first ever attempt at writing a novel in the NaNoWriMo, and I succeeded, in three weeks!!
The non-linear writing which I used to do in Ulysses is absolutely perfect, and the Outliner-based philosophy is a spot on match with how my mind works.

Thanks! And now I’ll switch the italics back on…

Thanks for the compliments on Scrivener. :slight_smile:

But don’t mention finishing NaNo in three weeks - I’m stuck on, uh, 1,300 words… :blush:

Anyway, glad Marcus got you sorted out with italics.

Best,
Keith