Italics, Italics, Italics!

Hello,
I’ve searched the listings and couldn’t figure out how to solve my problem. When i compile to a Word document, I’m losing all of the italicized formatting in the original Scrivener document. I am compiling using a Customs format because I couldn’t find a standard format that would work for me. I want to compile to a super basic Word document that includes size 12 font, 1.5 spacing, Times New Roman font, with footnotes (not endnotes). I’ve been able to keep all of this formatting EXCEPT for italics, which annoyingly disappears every time I compile. I have many non-English words in my document that need to be italicized. Please help me solve this! Clicking on “Over-riding text and notes formatting” doesn’t seem to make a difference.

My second question is how to preserve Custom compile settings so that I don’t have to reset them every single time I compile a document for export?

Many thanks!

There are few things to check for if italics are not preserved when compiling:

  • In the Transformations compile option pane, make sure “Convert italics to underlines” is disabled.
  • In the Formatting pane, where you choose the font for your main text, make sure that the font you are using supports italics at all. Ordinarily Times New Roman ships on your Mac with an italic variant, so that font should not be a problem, presuming that is what you are getting upon output, but perhaps something is messed up with the fonts on your computer, and italics isn’t working for TNR. I would test in the main editor and see if it works there.
  • Lastly, be sure that the software you are using to load the document is capable of loading that format correctly. If you are using Word, then this probably isn’t the problem. I would try RTF though to see if that works better (you usually don’t need to use the specific .doc/x formats as Word works with RTF just as well, and that is what Scrivener starts with, meaning using that is less complex and prone to problems).

I’m not sure what you are running into that would cause you to have to reset your compile settings every time. Compile settings are saved as you go, whenever you use them, with no intervention on your part. They are as static and fundamental to your project as the words you type into the editor.

Perhaps it is confusion over the term “Custom”? That just means you have changed the settings at some point in the past. All settings start with a preset, even if a very simple one like “Original” that does barely anything to the output, or the default settings for a template. If you change one tiny thing about it then Scrivener will inform you of that in the future by noting that the settings are custom. That’s all it means.

Thank you, I think that did the trick.

On the subject of italics. Is there a straight-forward way to italicize a word throughout the document? I have found the search/replace function, but I have not found a way to replace a word with its italicized version.

Scrivener doesn’t have any kind of search and replace for formatting, so that type of thing will be easier to do in a word processor after you’ve compiled.

That kills me because there is so much specific formatting for a dissertation, and I have to send compiled drafts to readers all the time. It takes hours to reformat a Word document after every compile.

Really, no simple way to search for a “term” and substitute it for “term”? Such a term might occur 50-60 times in the full document, so italicizing each individually also takes a long time (compounded by all of the different words to be formatted).

I would agree that if you’re spending multiple hours, and compiling over and over, then it would be much easier to fix the problem in Scrivener, at least then you are only spending the multiple hours there. My suggestion was predicated on the notion that Word has some way of search for a word and italicising all instances of it, making it a five minute fix; perhaps I am wrong in that assumption. Within Scrivener at least, note you can use Cmd-G to find the next instance of the word, Cmd-I to italicise it, Cmd-G to find the next, and so on.

hm… I had a similar problem with italics, as I use a lot of ‘foreign’ words in my dissertation.
What works for me right now: I use Multimarkdown. Well… I use ONE feature of Multimarkdown, that is putting the word I need italicised into two asterisks, like so. When compiling for Word you can tell Scrivener to transform MMD into italics etc. Also, once I got used to all these asterisks on my pages, I quite like the idea of being able to control and see what needs to be in italics.

Good luck with your work!

Oh… and about always italicising certain words:
I think just typing ** is pretty fast, almost as fast as having some sort of auto-function :smiley:

It would also be possible to use the Project Replace feature to replace all instances of “word” with “word”. From there, as Rondonralta noted, there’s an option in the File -> Compile -> Transformations pane to convert Markdown to bold and italics, even if you’re not using Markdown’s other features.

Katherine